Re: 2.6.8 Kernel: no console, but X working fine

From: Thomas Jahns (Thomas.Jahns_at_epost.de)
Date: 11/17/04

    Date: 17 Nov 2004 12:47:54 +0100

    "Frank O. Fackelmayer" <me@privacy.net> writes:
    > In my Debian-sarge installation (all up to date) I'm having a problem
    > to get a "normal" text console. After booting, I come to the Tux, but
    > there are no messages displayed below it. The system continues
    > booting, though, and after a short while Xfree comes up and I get a
    > normal kdm login window. I can do almost all thet I want in Konsole
    > under KDE, but there is no way to get to the text console: pressing
    > the keys to switch just leaves me with a blank black screen.
    >
    > My hardware: Powermac 7300 with Sonnet G3. Booted via BootX into
    > kernel 2.6.8 (the debian package, no home-brew) with "no video driver"
    > (video=ofonly) checked. It did/does work flawlessly under Kernel
    > 2.2.20 when I use this one for booting.
    > (BTW: Is Kernel 2.6.8 a significant improvement over 2.2.20 on this
    > old machine? I could stick with the old Kernel which works fine, but
    > I'd love to be up-to-date...)
    >
    > Does anyone know what's wrong? Does anybody have the same problem on
    > similar hardware? From what I read I think it is a framebuffer problem
    > in the new Kernel. Is there anything (simple) I can try? I will also
    > try compiling my own Kernel when necessary, but I'll need advice how
    > to get the console running then (settings in .config).

    Unfortunately support for PowerMac framebuffers has become less and less
    reliable after about 2.4.22. But newer kernels are only needed if you
    want to have newer features like XFS support.

    I think there is a PowerMac ppc kernel on the debian site from the 2.4.x
    age that might work better for you.

    Are you using the built-in framebuffer of the 7300 or a PCI graphics
    adapter?

    Thomas Jahns

    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
     but not at reading your mind."

    • Re: Strange Kern.log Message And Im having Trouble On both Woody And Sarge
      ... > On woody bootup, bootmessages start and proceed for a while but degrade ... but still no ttys on either kernel bootup and no X on ... I would remove gpm as well, but it does sound like a framebuffer ... check the config file in /boot. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: =?UTF-8?B?WnVyw7xjaw==?= von fglrx zu radeon
      ... Kernel, und Laptops gibt es schon lange, dass Linux Kernels damit ... Zahl - Ziffer ist das Zeichen für eine einzelne Stelle ... Splash und Pinguine schließen sich eh aus. ... Framebuffer am Laufen haben, weil ich die Pinguine angezeigt bekomme. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.x11)
    • Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
      ... are the best drivers we have. ... you forget everytime that the kernel ... Apparently with any framebuffer driver ... framebuffer graphics apps in the console except that I can't ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: =?utf-8?Q?Zur=C3=BCck?= von fglrx zu radeon
      ... Kernel ist Kernel, ... setzen der entsprechenden Links macht das Installations-Skript, ... wenn man einen kleineren Zeichensatz ... Framebuffer für tty lief, nicht sichtbar? ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.x11)
    • Re: graphical console problem
      ... This options tells kernel does not turn on the sis framebuffer. ... you will bootup your machine in text console. ... > sisfb: Using MMIO queue mode ...
      (Debian-User)