Re: How does Linux compare to Mac OS X?

In article <00s2h3xa97.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Keith Keller <kkeller-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.powerpc.]

On 2006-04-13, Daniel Packman <pack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Web: Likewise, browsers abound on all platforms. If you have a real need
for Internet Explorer, you have my condolences. Firefox is a great
browser for all platforms and Safari is often fine as well. Many options.

As someone else pointed out (perhaps only to colp), browser support on
linux-ppc is fine, but browser plugin support is spotty at best. No
flash, difficult or older java, no shockwave, no streaming media. If
that's very important to the OP, OS X is probably a better choice
(though dual-boot is always an option).

--keith

Yes, flash and Shockwave support are essential to me in a browser. I
don't need skads of plug-ins, but a small and well-rounded selection is
desirable.

OS X is looking like the ideal choice for me at this point, but a part
of me still wants to explore the world of Linux...then there will be the
matter of which distribution will best suit my interests.

Thanks,
Eric

  • Re: American War Library
    ... people would prefer the direct browser access they get at other ... platform that exists to my skill set. ... is dated 2002 and I've only worked on three platforms since then - ... I'd still like to hear from users of AWL before I jump in. ...
    (soc.genealogy.methods)
  • Re: OT: Social responsibility when writing HTML
    ... >> someone might have parsing HTML, and then leaving off the quotes. ... > allowing people to view the site on any browser, ... > Alternative platforms have much to offer and, ... If a browser cannot cope with good markup - it is the ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Calling browser from J to present results
    ... For people using APLX, there is a built-in Browser object, which is ... Under Windows, it's a cover for the IE ... OCX control, so it is effectively the same as using the OCX control ... the same APL syntax on both platforms. ...
    (comp.lang.apl)
  • Re: I cant see my Web site from Internet Explorer because I use LINUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... This says it perfectly - if the client is set on something where the ... we would also code to the browser (any ... two platforms in most cases - the IE users and the NON-IE group. ... that only code to the standards, but if you only code to the standards ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Why doesnt this page display anything in IE6?
    ... but I am not sure this is the root of the problem. ... One point of conjecture is why you choose FF and OP as your test browser ... is for these platforms and if this is your only audience then code for those ... renders but scripts broken in Opera ...