Re: How do I "see" a hard drive?

"JohnW" <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I thought I'd try to run a Live Linux CD (ROCK Linux) which is successful
and have got KDE going but I still can't "see" any hard drives (the file
manager program lists a "hard drive" but that appears to be the CD that
I've booted from. This is roughly where my Linux knowledge ends!

The questions are these:

1. Having booted the Mac with Linux, should I be able to "see" the Mac
hard drive?

You should certainly be able to see it with fdisk and
/proc/partitions. I don't know enough about Rock Linux and its KDE
setup to tell you if you should be able to see the hard drive there.

I type: mkdir /mnt/hda2
I simply get another command prompt

That means it worked.

I type: mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda
response: mount point /mnt/hda does not exist

Well, you have created /mnt/hda2, not /mnt/hda

I type: cat /etc/fstab
response:
none /dev devfs defaults 0 1
I type: mount /dev/hda2 -t ext3 -o ro /mnt/hda2
response: special device /dev/hda2 does not exist

Hmm, your system seems to be using devfs, so it should exist or be
created on demand or somesuch. Also, AFAIK your file system is not
ext3, so you should not try to mount it as ext3.

Well, since that does not appear to work, you can also do

mknod /tmp/hda3 b 3 3
mkdir /mnt/hda3
mount /tmp/hda3 -t hfs -o ro /mnt/hda3

This assumes that your file system is HFS (doesn't MacOS X also use a
variant of UFS?).

I type: mount dev/hda2
response:
mount: can't find /dev/hda3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

You would have to put an entry into /etc/fstab for that to work.

I type: mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
response:
mount point /mnt/hda3 does not exist

You have to create it first with mkdir.

If so, am I likely to have any utilities on my Linux
CD that might attempt some sort of disk repair?

If the drive hardware is broken, the fix is to replace the drive. If
the hardware is ok, but the file system is corrupted for some reason,
the only way Linux could be used for repair is to back up the files
that you can access, reformat the drive, and play them back. However,
I would not use Linux to do this for MacOS file systems. BTW, if the
file system is corrupted, my suggestion of copying the raw partition
and playing it back won't help you.

I don't need to get at
everything from the drive just a couple of folders that I don't back up as
often as I clearly should!

You may be able to do that, but you should try to understand what you
are doing (which apparently you did not for the commands that you
tried above), e.g., by reading the man pages about the commands (e.g.,
type "man mount"). We probably won't have the patience to give you
all the commands you need with all the arguments for your specific
case; plus, consider the possibility of someone giving you malicious
"advice".

- anton
anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Most things have to be believed to be seen

  • Re: Need help Installing Windows XP !!!
    ... Ram an ntfs file system can 'see' a fat32 file system, ... from your windows xp ntfs partition to your windows 98 fat32 file system but ... I have 2 Hard Drives on my PC. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: How do I "see" a hard drive?
    ... I thought I'd try to run a Live Linux CD which is successful ... and have got KDE going but I still can't "see" any hard drives (the file ... to mount it from the command prompt before starting Xwindows? ... response: mount point /mnt/hda does not exist ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Re: Help! Vostro 1400 stuck in a BSOD situation ....
    ... Windows enables a write cache for all installed hard drives on ... please know that it values correcting the file system above ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Ghost image fails to restore properly?
    ... It makes sense that the file system information ... computer I bought. ... semi-retired supporting two external hard drives I use for backups. ... I bought a new APC UPS with the Dimension XPS 5 from Dell, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)