Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

"Keith Keller" <kkeller-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message news:qvi714x0h3.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2006-10-26, ***** charles <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. The first time
it booted it came up to MacOS 8.6 that has bee modified
at least a little. It has 104M of ram and a 2.4G hd that is
about half full. It seems to have a lot of software on it but
the biggest problem is that when using it, it hesitates every
once in a while. Then it seems to catch up. I think it has
a virus. I thought I could wipe it and start from scratch
but I think this is one of the Macs that is too old to install
Linux on its' own. I have no cd's for it and I am just
starting on this journey. Any advice?

If it's a real PowerPC, then it's not too old for linux, even on its
own, if you can find a copy of quik, the OldWorld bootloader. Older
Debian distros included quik in their PPC installer (but IIRC didn't
configure it properly, so had to be done from the boot CD commandline).

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(try just my userid to email me)

where do I get the software and instructions on how to use it?

thanks......

  • Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?
    ... I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. ... Linux on its' own. ... Debian distros included quik in their PPC installer (but IIRC didn't ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Re: Some followup
    ... > PowerPC simulators actually work or are even capable of running ... > Linux without crashing. ... A Mac Mini probably is a great platform for Mac Minix. ... I would be interested in porting Minix to MIPS-based DECstations; ...
    (comp.os.minix)
  • Re: Sinking the value of the G5 series
    ... Let's try with Linux: ... etc. support the PowerPC architecture. ... We did the wrong search at Apple, ... Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC desktop CD ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: [SLE] subfs & Dougs ranting
    ... the RH & SuSE folks make their money from is the hard work they put ... PowerPC SuSE, although discontinued as a package offering, it is still ... you think the IBM powerpc Linux is coming from? ... As this is starting to get off topic and more rants than reason, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Louis and other RS6000 folks - tell me bout a RISC System 6000 E30
    ... Well according to the user's manual there was a PowerPc ... >> Do the E30's only work wih AIX or can they run NT, W2k, Unix, Linux, ... The E30 has PCI and ISA slots. ... >the Service Guide can be found at ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)