Re: Can ANYONE please help? (Mac G4 won't boot Linux)

on Sunday 29 April 2007 08:23 pm, reply.in.group@xxxxxxxxx (Eric) wrote:

Jerry;

No luck. I installed a fresh installation of FC6 taking ALL of the
defaults, then ran yabootconfig as indicated earlier (taking care to make
sure first that I was designating boot and root correctly) and this thing
just will not boot... sits there with the little folder icon with the
alternate question mark and silly little faces.

I am absolutely out of ideas.

Eric,

When you say folder icon - I'm assuming you mean the happy mac that
one sees after the hardware has been checked - and then it attempts
to boot off of the disk? Otherwise, if it's actually a folder, it
still sounds like you have something other than just Linux on the
system.

Out of curiousity, is the new drive also SCSI 0/IDE Master? (I don't
have access to a G3, so I don't know what kind of disk it is using).

I don't know how much of hobbiest/programmer/developer you are, but
I would start looking at things related to Open Firmware to see how
your system is currently configured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Firmware

"On a PowerPC-based[3] Macintosh, the Open Firmware interface can be
accessed by pressing the keys Cmd-Option-O-F at startup. This functionality
is generally only used by developers; for common users, the Mac OS X
operating system provides a high level graphical user interface to change
commonly used Open Firmware settings. For instance, it is possible to
specify the boot disk or partition without directly using the Open Firmware
interface. Other Open Firmware settings can be changed using the nvram
command while the system software is running."

This will get you to the prompt, and you should be able to enter
specific commands to see what the machine thinks you have

http://www.firmworks.com/QuickRef.html

At this point there isn't much else I can suggest - other than maybe
trying a different distro - or checking the bugzilla w/FC6 to see if
what you are experiencing is a known issue.

Good Luck.

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
// Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  • F17 - no network
    ... Upon first boot after a fresh installation, ... Neither the ath9k family, needed for my ... I was able to reconstruct correct values and can once again boot the ... On first boot I tried to edit the grub kernel line but couldn't. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: multiboot problems and a question
    ... Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows ... >>>A lot depends on where your boot files are located. ... >>>drive containing Mandrake and you remove it, ... >>>Best of Luck, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I need further HDD advice before submitting order.
    ... > failed upgrade or just via bad luck, ... Oh, I figure that if they know how to install FreeBSD, they'll be able ... to work out how to boot from /altroot. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Booting hobbyist CD on PWS433au
    ... > boot the Alpha hobbyist CD with thus far no luck. ... > I pulled the ATAPI CDROM from the box and installed an RRD42 which I ... The SCSI card is a DEC KZPBA-CX and the console ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)