Re: Gparted help

In article <6P24i.16631$AR3.12840@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael and Nicole Freeman wrote:
Hi there!

I have an old 350MHz G3 iMac which I decided to run dual-OS with MacOS
9 and Linux. I got it all set up and running well, except that I
underestimated the amount of disk space I would need for the Linux
system. I have the basic 7Gb drive that came with the computer split
evenly between the two OS's, but I have lots of space left on the MacOS
HFS+ partition, but I'm just about out of it on the Linux Ext3 partition.
Sounds like my Imac. Here is how I did it. and to do this.
BACK it up FIRST! ALL of it! you will need your system Install CDs as
well.
After you backed up BOTH OSs.
1. boot your Mac OS system CD
go to Drive setup
make a small HFS+ partition. say 1GB (unless you need more)
leave the rest of the Disk unallocated
Initalize this disk
2. Now restore your backups (you did make those Right?)

Now for the Linux side.
Go to your install CDs and install your Operating system. and Yaboot.
you can now begin to restore your Linux backups after this point.
Leave the files in /etc alone unless you carefully put them back in
one by one to make sure you don't create a nightmare. Possibly
/etc/fstab and yaboot.conf would be two you may want to NOT restore
without needed changes.

Of course if you got the green. Get a bigger HD and put it in. or go
with a external firewire drive. I did the former and it took me awhile
to get my Imac G3/350 open to put it in, Might was well change the PRAM
battery too while you are inside. a standard Duracell CR2 1/2 AA fits
fine and works good. It is a snug fitting battery and won't work
loose. It has more mAH than the original and given its application
will probally run your clock/pram for quite a longer time than 10 years!

Oh btw if you go with firewire.... I don't know if you need to look
for Oxford 911 chipset based firewire bridgeboards or not. but even
so you can always boot a external drive by holding down the option key
when you hear the "bong" hold it down until you see a graphics boot
menu. it will scan all Firewire/usb/IDE/Network boot drives. Mine has
the latest firmware and I also boot a USB thumbdrive as well with Mac
Os 9.2.2 on it! (its my Rescue stick, it aint a CD and it aint a disk
so a rescue stick it is.)

The firewire drives can also have a USB 2.0 interface as well so they
will boot even on the Usb 1.1 port of the Imac. Slow though, but its a
godsend if you need to sneakernet between PCs and Macs.

--

From the Desk of the Sysop of:
Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  • Re: Linux BIOS Challenge
    ... BootitNG is an arcane sort of boot manager prog that is my best mate's ... accepted all the defaults offered by Linux and the bootup is now Suse ... >> the first boot up device and entered the BIOS to change it. ... >> the BIOS successfully detected both drives and ran the Suse boot menu. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: moving to linux --- success finally [long]
    ... > new drive as secondary master to use fo Linux. ... For starters, it noticed partition table ... > drives, and helpfully offered to fix them. ... > Anyway, PartitionMagic comes with BootMagic, their own boot loader. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 109
    ... with was done before I installed Fedora Core 2, after ghosting the linux ... original installation DVD I downloaded. ... the Boot information on the first drive. ... drives are. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)