Booting from LiveCD

Anyone have any ideas on this problem? I've googled all weekend and
gotten no closer to a solution. I am not generally a Linux or Mac
person, but nor am I entirely unfamiliar with both.

I have an older G4 MacMini. It's a 1.5Ghz PowerPC G4, upgraded to 1GB
RAM.

My goal is to put Linux on this little machine, ultimately to use as a
file-server. My problem is that I can't get any of the LiveCDs to
actually boot.

I've tried downloading the PPC-port of Ubuntu (both v6.06 and v8.04),
as well as YellowDog v6.1 PPC. I've burnt the ISOs to CD (or DVD, in
the case of Yellowdog). I insert the disk into the drive, restart the
Mac holding down the "C" key... and nothing. I get bumped into OSX.

Not giving up, I restart holding down the CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DEL key and
get a selection of two buttons (one for OSX, one for Linux); this
doesn't work either. I get the graphical menu but clicking on the
LinuxCD icon doesn't start the installation.

If I insert the OSX install disc, I can boot from that and, =while in
OSX- the drive can *read* the Linux CDs; this would seem to indicate
that the hardware is working and its not an incompatibility issue with
my discs.

DiskUtility report the burnt CDs as *not* being bootable. But why? I
tried burning the ISOs to disc on the Mac, and burnt another from a
PC; the discs just are not bootable. I'm just downloading the ISOs and
burning them to CD; nothing fancy. All indications are that these are
LiveCDs.

Any ideas of where I should go from here?

ISOs used:
http://mirror.anl.gov/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20081119.iso
http://releases.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-powerpc.iso
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/8.04/release/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-powerpc.iso

  • Re: Mandrake 9.1 PPC cds format?
    ... as "Mac OS Standard," which I'm further guessing means HFS.) ... and resource forks for any Mac OS programs on the disc. ... by default under Linux and other OSs, enabling Linux to access the disc ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Re: OT - Computers
    ... I'm thinking of a Mac, ... The biggest downside to a mac is the price ... my i suggest that you try a linux os ... and run the cd to load the os from the bios del or f12 ubuntu is a descent one but there a many out there the disc will boot by itself and not compromise your harddrive and os ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: Booting from LiveCD
    ... I'm new to Linux but I hope this helps a little. ... I've burnt the ISOs to CD (or DVD, ... LinuxCD icon doesn't start the installation. ... If I insert the OSX install disc, I can boot from that and, =while in ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Re: Hard drive question
    ... On 27/02/2013 16:58, Peter Hawkins wrote: ... to connect that to my Mac to do that for her. ... put that into the laptop (into a separate partition on the disc). ... but seeing I only have Macs now can I make a Linux cd? ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: OT - I ran....
    ... the `Linux community' decided that because it included ... (Mandriva Free is a 'pure' distro which can easily have non-FOSS stuff ... have such things as "MP3" support and proprietary hardware support built ... I consider Mac OS X to be an excellent example of what a good Unix-type ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)