Re: Best distro for a PM 5500?

danielnez1 <danielnez1@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I've got a Power Mac 5500/225, 128 MB RAM (with a 400 MHz Sonnet
Crescendo G3 overclocked to 500 MHz) and have tried to install both
Yellowdog 4.1 and Debian 5 with BootX without success. Yellowdog will
simply have a kernel panic during bootup and Debian will hang during
the installation phase.

The yellowdog releases post YDL3 did not come with all the drivers
needed for oldworld machines in the supplied kernel. There are two
ways around this: (i) is to create your own kernel and disk image to do
the install of a later version, I have not tried this only seen
references, or (ii) create your own kernel and use 'yum' to upgrade
the packages to a later version. I have used the latter method to
upgrade my 7600/200 from ydl3 successively to ydl4, ydl5, ydl6 and now
ydl6.1. This method does have its own problems, but certainly has
worked for me.

For the first method, look at the discussion thread:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=339

I can't answer on the Debian problems, nevery having used it.
However, I had always understood Debian to have better support for
OldWorld machines. I did a quick google search and the following
appears to have some possibly useful links:

http://gonz.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/installing-ubuntu-510-breezy-badger-on-an-old-world-powerbook-g3-wallstreet/

or for ubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/OldWorldMacs

Another issue is that BootX does not seem to work with the G3 upgrade,
is there any way to overcome this or will I just have to use the base
603e?

For upgrade cards you normally need to set various parameters. The
normal one is the G3 cache, discussed in the readme file according to:

http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/bootx/

On the specific machine and a G3 upgrade I don't know the situation.
Sometimes there can be problems. There is some discussion on:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ppc/2006-07/msg00022.html

--
Stephen Harker s.harker@xxxxxxxxxxx
PEMS Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell

  • unsubscribe
    ... > Subject: debian newbie... ... If I need to recompile the kernel, ... Also, what other additional packages, ... >> The package you're trying to install presumably ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debain on the rise ! - However ....
    ... > *Debian* newbie doesn't mean that I'm a complete idiot, ... > I tried *all* the installs, starting with the 2.4 kernel). ... I don't know yet whether I can get the Gentoo install ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Whats the easiest and/or simplest part of Linux Kernel?
    ... I think the kernel is the LAST place you want to go, ... Most applications are not developed by Debian developers; rather other groups develop and make the packages available; the Debian developers may make some minor modifications then package them for Debian, ensuring the proper prerequisites are defined, etc. ... And if you try to install the PHP-Apache module, it knows you need Apache installed. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian Wheezy freezing
    ... I installed Debian Wheezy and the system freezes randomly. ... I never compiled a kernel before, so I am afraid of the problems it ... try to compile and install newer linux kernel yourself. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: kernel 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrading procedure
    ... > Debian a couple days ago using a DVD from the magazine Linux Format. ... In the future when you install Debian it is highly recommended to ... install using the linux 2.6 kernel instead of the 2.4 kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)