Re: CGI suddenly dies on RedHat 9 server

From: Andrew (arobcorp_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: 10/12/03

Date: 11 Oct 2003 20:42:18 -0700

Hi there,
As I am trying to do some thing similar, I have been belting my head
against a brick wall to, I wrote to RedHat and told them to improve
their documents, and their $30 yearly joining fee to their help site
is un-satasfactory (as linux world is "suppose to be freely-helpful",
I havn't heard back, and they might post here to try to "save face!".
Any way try below links, also if anyone else knows better, PLEASE
SPEAK-UP! (in other words, if I go wrong feel free to jump in!),

salmonsm@missouri.edu (Michael Salmons) wrote in message news:<a38b51d9.0309250730.3e5cc374@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I have a few basic questions and having a hard time finding some
> answers. I've tried various FAQs.
>
> I have a server running redhat9 and apache 2.0.40. I was having
> trouble getting some cgi to execute and starting experimenting with
> permissions as root. now no cgi on the box will run for any remote
> user. I CAN run CGI from the console, however. I've tried setting
> perms to 766 for all the the cgis in cgi-bin and setting the owner to
> root.root as well as apache.apache (i'm using the default user and
> group in httpd.conf). I've indicated with a <Directory> in httpd.conf
> that the folder should have the ExecCGI option enabled.

First, login as root, how, when the login page apears that you enter
your user name, simply type "root", and then <enter>, and then the
password that you entered in setup for the root directory. This will
get you in as root and you should have acess to most/all files.
WARNING ROBERTSON WARNING WARNING!!!! do not change the type of files
i.e. from mime to something else in an attempt to read, as you might
accidently change a system file, thus damanaging startup, resulting in
major head-aches!.
Once in, go to /etc/http/httpd.conf and open with a text editor,
then ( I think (thanks again to the briliant documents!) you have to
change the settings (and then save), for reference use this
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/cgi.html
I think that you have to make a file in your user account i.e.
/home/"your name"/www.MyHome.com once this is done, I think that this
is where you keep your web pages, & make a folder in that folder
cgi-bin, i.e. /home/"your name"/www.MyHome.com/cgi-bin then change the
settings in httpd.conf to point to that folder, reconize that folder,
see it as a cgi folder, and allow general execution of programs (this
I am still trying to work out).
write a simple trial to see if works!.

> Questions: how do I allow web users to run the cgi if 766 will not
> work?
> Can you screw up web access to cgi by resetting perms and owner in the
> way i did?
>
> What should I check to see what i've messed up? All the apache error
> logs tell me is a client at such and such address was denied access to
> various cgi files. duh.

acesss rights explained above, WARNING ROBERTSON WARNING WARNING!!!!
if you go changing you the rights of users/groups, be careful that you
don't allow security holes, at the top of the httpd.conf file it says
something llike "the text below is for hints only, no liability held,
in other words your on your own." nice isn't it, even nicer if they
actualy told you where to go to get the whole "walk through", APACHE
note, your on REDHAT's level!.

> grumpy referrals to a page or document that would get me up to speed
> would be heartily accepted!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Salmons
> salmonsm@missouri.edu

I realy hope this helps as the stress of continualy crashing my
computer is nearly enough to make me go to (dare I say it!) Windows!.
cheers
Andrew

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problems with opendir
    ... CGI Is being compiled on fedora core 2. ... > In this case c folder contains only one folder called PCDI ... Looks like an application code bug to me. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Problems with opendir
    ... CGI Is being compiled on fedora core 2. ... In this case c folder contains only one folder called PCDI ... So it would seam as a bug in opendir function that does not append c/ ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: IIS script directory
    ... _vti_script is not the folder you were looking for. ... > in the properties-box for my Default Web Site. ... Now try to get browse the CGI application again. ... > installed under inetpub when I install IIS? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: PHP-.htaccess-CGI
    ... > link to a lot of CGI programs in a folder with protected-access ... > kind of authentication. ... you can password protect CGI files the very same way you protect any other ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: CGI THREAT: Malicious data injection into Perl modules.
    ... >If we can trick the CGI ... > we will be able to execute commands. ... Um, if you could actually insert code into a perl module, ... modules as root, which should make the files writable only by root. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)