Re: .exe works across ms & linux?

From: Lew Pitcher (Lew.Pitcher_at_td.com)
Date: 11/05/03

    Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 12:04:57 -0500

    milhous451 wrote:

    > if a program written in a high level language (turbo c/turbo pascal, etc)
    > works on a microsoft operating system (win2000/xp, etc), will the same
    > .exe or .obj also work on a standard linux operating system?

    No and yes.
    No, a Windows .EXE or .OBJ file is not directly compatable with Linux, and
    cannot be directly executed on a Linux system,
    Yes, with tools like 'wine' (http://www.winehq.org/), Microsoft .EXE
    executables can be run in an emulated Windows environment on a suitable
    Linux system

    > or does
    > the program have to be written/compiled specifically for linux?

    That's the preferred approach. It guarantees that the program is compatable
    with Linux, and negates the requirement for additional, non-standard support
    tools.