Re: .exe works across ms & linux?

From: Lew Pitcher (Lew.Pitcher_at_td.com)
Date: 11/05/03

    Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 12:04:57 -0500

    milhous451 wrote:

    > if a program written in a high level language (turbo c/turbo pascal, etc)
    > works on a microsoft operating system (win2000/xp, etc), will the same
    > .exe or .obj also work on a standard linux operating system?

    No and yes.
    No, a Windows .EXE or .OBJ file is not directly compatable with Linux, and
    cannot be directly executed on a Linux system,
    Yes, with tools like 'wine' (http://www.winehq.org/), Microsoft .EXE
    executables can be run in an emulated Windows environment on a suitable
    Linux system

    > or does
    > the program have to be written/compiled specifically for linux?

    That's the preferred approach. It guarantees that the program is compatable
    with Linux, and negates the requirement for additional, non-standard support
    tools.

    > thx in
    > advance.

    • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
      ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
      (soc.culture.lebanon)
    • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
      ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
    • Linux for Senior Citizens
      ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
      (uk.people.silversurfers)
    • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
      ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
      (soc.culture.lebanon)
    • Re: [SLE] Developing a Real Time Data System
      ... The KBasic License is valid for both operating systems: Windows and Linux. ... Modern BASIC language ... chapters learning about the programming language. ...
      (SuSE)