Problem in booting RH Linux 9

From: Diptanshu Parui (diptanshu_parui_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/10/03

Date: 9 Nov 2003 20:12:50 -0800

Hi,

I have a dual-boot machine with Windows 2000 & RH Linux 9 installed.
Everything was working fine until, I found that 3GB space was
unallocated in the windows partition, so I formatted it as NTFS.

Then, when I restarted my machine, I was taken to the grub> prompt
instead of the option to select the OS (Linux/DOS).

Then I managed to boot into Windows 2000 using the following set of
commands.
Windows 2000 is in hda1.

grub > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub > chainloader +1
grub > boot

Kindly guide me by helping me boot into RH Linux 9 (UI based) from the
grub prompt. As far as I remember, Linux is in hda2.

TIA,
Dips

Relevant Pages

  • fixing grub : mbr fix when windows install after linux
    ... "There is not a boot manager screen at all, ... windows but GRUB boot window does not appear. ... "I forgot to install GRUB, I didn't install GRUB in the MBR, I chose ... Fedora but that was not an active primary partition". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: wrong boot partition
    ... then in windows disk manager the Ubuntu partition was made active, of cause when rebooted it starts the live cd, now its just getting it back to windows and finding a boot manager so one or the other can be booted to as and when its wanted ... Grub on the other hand, doesn't absolutely need the boot flag. ... Linux will load the MBR with grub boot code. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fedora Core 5 Installation
    ... Check out the grub manual ... The manual also has the instructions for what commands to issue to alter your OS boot instructions at boot time. ... The first thing I did was burn Fedora Core 5 CDs and tried installing it on my hard drive partition that I created by resizing my Windows XP Pro partition. ... Because I wanted to dual boot Windows and Linux, and also from the instructions in the Fedora Core 5 Installation Manual, I opted for GRUB boot loader. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: dual boot with WinXP
    ... > Which boot loader should I use? ... Well, you didn't say which Linux distro you installed, ... Both of them will boot Windows, ... maintain than the 'grub' boot-loader; ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue
    ... I got the latest kernel and other updates via yum as I normally do, but when I went to reboot, all I got was a simple text message saying "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner of my screen, and that's all I've gotten ever since. ... I just tried to do an upgrade install of Fedora 7 to fix the issue, and specifically told it to replace the boot loader configuration on the proper partition, but that didn't work to correct the issue. ... A little more detail is that I'm using the Windows XP boot.ini/boot configuration to load WinXP or to load GRUB which in turn loads Linux. ...
    (Fedora)