Re: Kernel 2.4.22 build under CygWin (for Jetway NF18GF)

From: Steve Mowbray (steve_mowbray_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/11/03

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:19:08 GMT

"P.T. Breuer" <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
news:n3jrob.n5s.ln@news.it.uc3m.es...
> In alt.os.linux Steve Mowbray <steve_mowbray@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "P.T. Breuer" <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
> > > Start with a distros *installed* (not *install*) kernel config.
>
> > Not starting from distro - have downloaded kernel 2.4.22 and along with
web

> The advice stands. Start with a distros installed kernel config.
> Slackwares springs to mind.

Okay will try to extract my Mandrake distro kernel config.

> > make clean
>
> Don't.
>
> > make mrproper
>
> No. Don't!!!!!!
>
> > make clean (again? - it says so in a LinuxHQ man page I found)
>
> Don't.

Now I am confused - the Linux kernel source README and the LinuxHQ kernel
compile howto list these as necessary steps.

> > make xconfig
>
> OK. But menuconfig is easier and more convenient. Personally I edit the
> .config and then run make oldconfig.

Yep - I am trying to work towards that level of kernel config.

> > make dep (stops half way)
>
> Fix the problem. But having a problem indicates that your toolchain is
> b0rken.

Not completely broke - just for Linux kernel - other software builds work.

> > > No such thing. It depends on your peripherals. For example, if you
boot
> > > off scsi or ide.
>
> > I was thinking along the lines of a DOS book disk equivelent (i.e no
device
> > drivers).
>
> It depends on your peripherals. You need support for the boot medium.
> If it's scsi, ide, floppy, ...

I would like to start out with FDD then incrementally add IDE, network,
protocols and services - hopefully learning loads along the way.

I am trying a two pronged attack at this - top down with Mandrake distro
(learn admin) and bottom up with the kernel (learn internals).

> > > Eh? Surely you aren't compiling under windows? That will never fly.
> > > Only a very few compilers can compile the kernel. Read the
> > > instructions! At least the Changes file.
>
> > I am using GCC 3.3.1 (cygming special) on CyGwin 1.5.5-1 (instructions
state

> DON'T!!! Nothing much except 2.95 is guaranteed to work. Some other
> compilers might work. 3.anything is practically guarranteed not to
> work, in general.

Eek - exact compiler version required - learning linux from the ground up is
going to be a problem I think.

> > GCC 2.95.3) will read the changes file.
>
> Boot a knoppix or whatever and compile your kernel using standard
> toolchains. You can't mess around here!

Will do - thanks.