useradd problems!

From: e n | c k m a (bob_at_marley.com)
Date: 11/13/03

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:33:05 GMT

Hey all,

I'm having trouble running /usr/sbin/useradd at the moment. I'm currently
experimenting with this in root so that I know how everything's working.

Basically, I try a command like: useradd -r myUserName -c "My comment"

As you can see, I'm not specifying a UID in the command and the default is
supposed to be the smallest ID value greater than 99 and greater than every
other user. If I attempt to create a new user using useradd and then do
`grep myUserName /etc/passwd`, it shows the UID as 79!!

What am I doing wrong and how can I make it behave properly?

[Running Mandrake 9.1]

Also, I hear people saying "set user permissions, you don't want to let
every user run .php scripts in their home directory!" - what does this mean?
Is there somewhere you can just select which users can do what system
functions (like running php scripts)? Where can I find this magic
configuration tool? The limit of my knowledge of setting permissions is
using chmod!!

Thanks in advance,
Nicko.