Re: Apache Confusion

From: Eric Enright (sauron_at_tiptsoft.com)
Date: 12/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 01:13:01 -0500

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:00:16 +0000, Razzel wrote:

> After reading my survival guide, apache.org documentation, etc. I am
> confused as to where to put my home page (index.html). One seems to
> indicate that I should have public_html under /home/<username>/ yet
> again elsewhere it seems I should put it under
> DocumentRoot/htdocs/<username>. So I put it in both places and used
> <hostname>.<dnsdomainname>/~<username. That did not work and the
> error.log said the connection was refused because of "no such file". It
> could not find /var/www/htdocs/<username>/manual/images/xxxx. Where
> xxxx is the following files: apache_pb.gif, mod_ssl_sb.gif,
> openssl_ics.gif, and feather.jpg.
> This is further confusing as these files are in
> /var/www/htdocs/manual/images.
> I understand that if I use /var/www/htdocs/<username> that I need a soft
> link to icons. Do I need a similar link to manual. NO. I tried it and
> that doesn't work.
> Can someone clearify for me where to put my home page in order to use:
> /<hostname>.<dnsdomainname>/~<username>????
> Thanks,
> Razzle

Typically, /home/you/public_html.
Be sure that you actually have this feature activated in Apache, and also
remember that the httpd process itself needs permissions to access the
directory, and all parent directories (ie, give execute permissions on
/home/you, and make sure public_html and everything under it is readable by
everyone, and the directories executable).

--
Eric Enright                   /"\
sauronAtiptsoftDcom            \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign