Re: what distro for the old systems out there?

From: Schwa Alien (schwa-d-alien_at_shaw.ca)
Date: 12/16/03

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:13:18 GMT

Chris Mantoulidis wrote:
> ... Suggestion: get yourself a new computer... I know you'll find it
> helpful... You can't do much with 64MB RAM and 1.2gig HD nowadays, can
> you?

aye, that's my plan... I have a much newer PC (1.1gig.celeron 768mb ram
37gig HD)that I'm gonna clean out some cobwebs (ie M$ crap) and actually
*use* for a change. I thought it'd be real cool to have a full linux
distro as a router, but it's not necessary to have that, now I realize
there's *linux based* products specifically suited for such a task and
fit in small, old PC machine like mine and can be run headless with good
web remote admin, just like a hardware solution.

-Schwa

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How does Fedora clean its RAM..?
    ... with a RAM brush. ... it is a question of how you are defining "clean it's ... some programs have buffer cleaning routines, ie, keyboard input buffer, ... help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: 10.4.10: system components to safely delete?
    ... Mac first, Mac only: ... Are you worried about disk space or RAM? ... Still, the functionality of the OS was amazing, as everything responded so quickly, and it was all about stability and functionality. ... Whenever I'd ask about the relative merits of running Linux on a Mac, everyone would respond to me that I really shouldn't go there unless I enjoy programming. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: How to set up a Linux machine that occupies the minimum memory footprint ?
    ... Of course, if you use 8GB of RAM, or more precisely if you ... Are you saying that if I have a 4GB RAM memory, ... Linux will somehow "know" that it doesn't have ... You've said in another message that your app is ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: How to set up a Linux machine that occupies the minimum memory footprint ?
    ... Of course, if you use 8GB of RAM, or more precisely if you ... Are you saying that if I have a 4GB RAM memory, ... Linux will somehow "know" that it doesn't have ... You've said in another message that your app is ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Microsoft tries to polish a turd
    ... Toshiba A300 lapdog with 3 GB RAM!! ... Linux will find enough of my hardware to make it useful. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)