Re: Migrating to appropriate linux distribution

From: Keith Clark (clarkphotography_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:54:03 -0800

Bit Twister wrote:

> On 14 Jan 2004 15:30:26 -0800, Mike Holloway wrote:
> > I'm taking Red Hat's suggestion of replacing Red Hat Linux seriously,
> > but their tables have convinced me that none of their products, or
> > projects, are meant for someone with my needs. All I want is to run a
> > non-Bill operating system for a home network. Their description of
> > Fedora as "bleeding edge" sends me screaming from the room in fright.
> > Their Enterprise is more expensive than Bill's XP, and does things I
> > certainly don't need. Can anyone tell me what the current no brainer
> > distribution is for the non-programming family man?
>
> Mandrake or Suse.

I have Mandrake 9.2, thanks to last month's "Linux Format" magazine so I
installed it and played around. Mandrake seems nice and I really liked the
urpmi command. But their system update just drove me nuts. It seemed like if
I did the logical thing and selected say, KDE updates that were available,
then it would hose the system. Otherwise it's nice, but not as impressive as
Suse.

For a desktop user who just wants to get work done, and have very good
plug-and-play wizards, Suse beats Mandrake hands down (try configuring a TV
tuner card in Mandrake vs Suse and you'll see what I mean - in Suse it's
easier than in Windows).

--Keith