Windows 95, 98 or XP on Linux - Questions about Virtual Machines

From: Mark Hobley (markhobley_at_hotpop.deletethisbit.com)
Date: 01/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:19:32 GMT

I have heard that it is possible to run a virtual machine on Linux,
which enables the running of Windows 95 or Windows 98.

I think this is achievable using a product called "VMWARE".

I would like to run Windows 98 or possibly Windows XP in a virtual
machine on my Linux PC.

I have in the past seen Windows 95 running on an Apple Mac using
"Virtual PC"

I want to hear from anyone who has experience of such an application
on Linux.

I want to know specifically, if all hardware operates 100%.

I am interested in running some Windows 3d games, such as Battlefield
1942, Call of Duty and Medal of Honour.

Does the 3d components of the video card work under a virtual machine
?

Does the virtual machine recognize the original copy protected CDROMs
that these games run on ? (Or do I need to apply no-cd patches to the
games ?)

What choice of virtual machine packages do I have ?

Are any of them open source ?

I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience of this.