Windows 95, 98 or XP on Linux - Questions about Virtual Machines

From: Mark Hobley (markhobley_at_hotpop.deletethisbit.com)
Date: 01/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:19:32 GMT

I have heard that it is possible to run a virtual machine on Linux,
which enables the running of Windows 95 or Windows 98.

I think this is achievable using a product called "VMWARE".

I would like to run Windows 98 or possibly Windows XP in a virtual
machine on my Linux PC.

I have in the past seen Windows 95 running on an Apple Mac using
"Virtual PC"

I want to hear from anyone who has experience of such an application
on Linux.

I want to know specifically, if all hardware operates 100%.

I am interested in running some Windows 3d games, such as Battlefield
1942, Call of Duty and Medal of Honour.

Does the 3d components of the video card work under a virtual machine
?

Does the virtual machine recognize the original copy protected CDROMs
that these games run on ? (Or do I need to apply no-cd patches to the
games ?)

What choice of virtual machine packages do I have ?

Are any of them open source ?

I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience of this.

  • Re: Selling Linux to Windows Users
    ... I help people move thier Windows systems to Linux. ... that Linux is ready for them to I do the install. ... PC with Linux or running Linux in a virtual machine. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Multithreading on Multicore Processors
    ... The virtual machine idea is an interesting approach but I suspect not ... I guess the Linus being slow to Windows comes from empirical evidence I have ... done is using DSL (Damn Small Linux) on an older machine. ... I did do some checking and the Intel Fortran can be purchased ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: "Parallels" - virtual machine?
    ... telling me of a free 60-day trial beta download of a virtual machine ... I don't see any statement that it requires windows or linux as host. ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: Windows 95, 98 or XP on Linux - Questions about Virtual Machines
    ... > I have heard that it is possible to run a virtual machine on Linux, ... > I would like to run Windows 98 or possibly Windows XP in a virtual ... > I want to know specifically, if all hardware operates 100%. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)