Re: Package Managers

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (
Date: 04/10/04

    Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:03:21 -0400

    <${roger}> wrote:

    > > Our viewpoints are diametrically opposed, Roger.
    > >
    > > You love APT, and I wish to be distro/nix indenpendent.
    > >
    > > Plenty of room in the world for both, and no need for
    > > consensus.
    > >
    > > When I read that you think gcc should be optional, I realized
    > > that we have no common ground here.
    > >
    > Of course gcc should be optional. I have several servers that don't have
    > it installed, deliberately not. There's no need for them to have it,
    > since any packages for them, I build elsewhere and install there. I have
    > Debian on a small pentab, I neither want, nor need, a compiler there. It
    > takes up room that can be put to better use. If I do decide I need a
    > compiler somewhere it isn't install. I simply apt-get install it, then
    > remove the bits afterwards. One of tha advantages of package management
    > systems.

    This is especially true for network-installed systems that get flushed
    daily, or external servers, or the live CD based distributions, or open
    kiosks, etc., etc. You get the idea: there are a *lot* of systems where
    "compile it locally" is infeasible or simply stupid.

    • Re: Clang error make buildworld
      ... # CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code. ... # or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any ... # CXXFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C++ code. ... # The list of languages and encodings to build and install ...
    • problems about gcc installation
      ... i need to install gcc, and when i install it, the following problems ... configure: loading cache ./config.cache ... checking for C compiler default output file name... ... checking whether the linker supports shared libraries... ...
    • [RESOLVED] DBD::mysql unresolved symbol _intel_fast_memcpy & mysql-standard-5.0.22-l
      ... Some of you may have wanted to build and install the DBD::mysql ... Mysql**, "...the MySQL Community Server compiled with the Intel CC ... Server compiled with the Intel CC compiler exhibit faster performance ... I will use the following settings for compiling and testing: ...
    • Re: gcc/gnat 3.3
      ... Bootstrapping the compiler ... INSTALL_PROGRAM = $$ ... We want to ensure that TARGET libraries ... all-target-libgloss: configure-target-newlib ...
    • Re: Time of the year when I try to get a Linux setup working, again.
      ... >>for you, and never work with source code yourself, in a sense, maybe ... > compiler to do everything from source, so at the very minimum I needed ... with a minimal install of Debian with apt for package management, ...