Re: what are #foo# files?

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_localhost.localdomain)
Date: 05/17/04

    Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 00:23:40 GMT

    On 16 May 2004 17:17:27 -0700, beliavsky@aol.com wrote:
    > Typing 'ls' in my home directory, I see a few files with names such as
    > '#foo#'.
    > I think they are junk and want to delete them,

    You are correct.

    > Could someone explain what files with names beginning and ending with
    > '#' mean

    Depends on what application placed them there. Could be your editor
    copies the file being worked on into the #samename# name.

    > and how to deal with them? Thanks.

    Had you done a man rm you might have gotten a hint, try this

    rm \#*

    • what are #foo# files?
      ... Typing 'ls' in my home directory, I see a few files with names such as ... I think they are junk and want to delete them, ... and 'ls #*' lists ALL the files in the current directory. ...
      (comp.os.linux.questions)
    • Re: System Tray Icons are invisible or wrong.
      ... in your home directory is a hidden folder named .kde4 ... What a pile of junk in there... ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Directory Stuff
      ... slrn newsreader:http://slrn.sourceforge.net/ ... Nothing would stop him from going to / and typing rm *. ... read/write permissions for him. ... writable by anyone and his home directory. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Spamassassin and evolution
      ... >>> doesn't seem to be anything in .evolution for that folder. ... >>> Where do I find the emails though that I have in the junk folder? ... Depending on your setup, the Junk 'folder' may be located in your home directory, or somewhere else on your system. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: what are #foo# files?
      ... > Typing 'ls' in my home directory, I see a few files with names such as ... Everything after it is ignored by the shell, ... A long evening Reading The Fine Manual on bash might be in ...
      (comp.os.linux.questions)