Problems with Udev

From: Yoyoma_2 (Yoyoma_2_at_[at-)
Date: 05/22/04

Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 14:38:19 -0400

Hello all.

I'me trying to upgrade from devfs to udev. I am running debian unstable
with a custom 2.6.6 kernel. The udev tools package is installed. The
DevFS package is not present and devfs is absent in the kernel.

I added the mounting point for /sys onto fstab so i know its not that.

When i boot up, everything is going well until the line RIGHT BEFORE it
starts up X. Because i was never able to boot into it i could never
install the nvidia module so, of course, usually it just gives a warning
and then proceeds to the login screen (in console mode).

But it doesn't do that. It freezes right after the warning but it never
proceeds to the "Login: " screen.

If i wait a while i get a message to the effect of (this is ad-libbed):
FATAL: Process 1 has been restarted too many times, waiting 5 minutes.
FATAL: Process 2 has been restarted too many times, waiting 5 minutes.
FATAL: Process 3 has been restarted too many times, waiting 5 minutes.
FATAL: Process 4 has been restarted too many times, waiting 5 minutes.
FATAL: Process 5 has been restarted too many times, waiting 5 minutes.
FATAL: Process 6 has been restarted too many times, waiting 5 minutes.

Any idea what could be causing such an error? Or maby a hint?
Thanks!