Re: prevent out of memory

beliavsky_at_aol.com
Date: 08/05/04

Date: 5 Aug 2004 13:08:43 -0700

Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer@exit109.com> wrote in message news:<10h47qbamtdjvdc@corp.supernews.com>...

> You can write just as bad program (from the point of view of data
> reference locality) using non OO techniques as you can with OO techniques.
> One way of looking at this is to say that C++ programs are OO and C
> programs are not. (I recognize you can use a C++ compiler and not do OO,
> and one can use even FORTRAN and write OO, though that would be a stretch).

Fortran 95 lets you define data types with public and private members,
so some OOP is possible. There is a book "Object-Oriented Programming
via Fortran 90/95"
by Ed Akin. Fortra 2003 adds further support for OOP, including
inheritance. You can get a free Fortran 95 compiler for Linux from
www.g95.org . It still has some kinks but is usable for learning.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Multilinear regression - techniques and performance
    ... >I have been working on some multilinear regression code ... and sparse matrix techniques will involve a lot of index computing, ... "The software package PROPACK contains a set of functions for computing ... There are links to Fortran codes for sparse linear algebra at ...
    (sci.math.num-analysis)
  • Re: prevent out of memory
    ... >>reference locality) using non OO techniques as you can with OO techniques. ... >>and one can use even FORTRAN and write OO, though that would be a stretch). ... Algol-60 compiler written in Algol-60. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: prevent out of memory
    ... >>reference locality) using non OO techniques as you can with OO techniques. ... >>and one can use even FORTRAN and write OO, though that would be a stretch). ... Algol-60 compiler written in Algol-60. ...
    (comp.os.linux.questions)
  • Re: prevent out of memory
    ... > reference locality) using non OO techniques as you can with OO techniques. ... > and one can use even FORTRAN and write OO, though that would be a stretch). ... Fortra 2003 adds further support for OOP, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: List-directed input with no on last record
    ... Meissner's book 'Fortran 90/95 Array and Pointer Techniques'. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)