Re: How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ?

From: Lew Pitcher (lpitcher_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 09/05/04

    Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 00:04:42 -0400

    • Re: Most stable and tested distribution?
      ... Some would argue that's a point for Slackware. ... of the distribution, which doesn't get released until the distribution ... All the user needs to check, for Slackware package updates, ... upgrade a particular software package to a newer version than is included ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Slackware or Redhat?
      ... Many users will try to tell you slackware as fewer update this is ... slackware as not so much apps in the distribution CDs;) ... Now I also use a lot of RedHat at work and it is a great distribution too, ... They have support for systemV initialization scripts out of the box (slack ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: About Zenwalk
      ... like Slackware. ... I read about Zenwalk in Linux Format ... Hence distributions that are full of "duplicate" programs dont' matter one bit, it doesn't really matter that it's a DVD rather than a CD now. ... And unless I'm confusing it with some other "small footprint" distribution, Zenwalk made bad decisions when I checked into it, going after GUI applications rather than really saving space by using non-GUI applications. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: [opensuse] Installing "wink" to capture streaming video
      ... You may not charge any fee or re-distribution ... This notice may not be removed or altered from any distribution. ... are distributing the package/portions of the package, ... Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: RH now exiting 1 more data center
      ... No ISV support at all ... Slackware is an inappropriate choice for that role. ... distribution. ... integrated build system and support the signing of packages so you can be ...
      (Fedora)