Need guidance

From: Robb (hay_robb_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/15/04

    Date: 15 Sep 2004 01:23:45 -0700

    OK, the latest critical MS security patch has me baffled as
    to why I bother with their OS. Please help me find some answers to my
    own additional FAQ questions for their 28th Sec Bull of the year.

    23. Which Linux distro should I start with if I'm a newbie to
    it, but have been in IT for 15+ years?

    24. How do I know what hardware to put this Linux distro with
    if I'm building a new system?

    25. How do I build a completely MS-free, Linux-based system
    that even my technophobe wife (who may freak if it doesn't
    look exactly like our old MS system) can use?

    26. Is Linux any better, since I'll have to depend on several
    distros and/or word of mouth to get bug/security fixes for
    it, as opposed to one company like MS?

    If there's a better forum for these Q's please let me know.
    Thanx in advance,
    Robb