Re: Ways to keep my Debian box updated over dial-up (3 KB/sec)?

ANTant_at_zimage.com
Date: 02/03/05

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:46:28 -0600

Someone told me to look at apt-zip and apt-move commands, but he/she
didn't know how to use them (just read about them). I downloaded those
two packages and ran them. I looked at their help with "man" command, but
I am still puzzled on how to use them for my dial-up issue.

What am I supposed to do with them? I assume I want to use apt-zip:
"These scripts simplify the process of using dselect and apt on a non-
networked Debian box, using removable media like ZIP floppies. One
generates a `fetch' script (supporting backends such as wget and lftp, in
a modular, extensible way) to be run on a host with better connectivity,
check space constraints of your removable media, and then install the
package on your Debian box."

I am at a loss on how to start this. I assume it is like run these scripts
on my Debian box after doing apt-get update (30+ minutes), copy the list
of locations to download, go to a Windows box with broadband connection
like at work, run the wget to download all the packages, burn them to CD
or copy to USB Flash drives/sticks, then run apt-get upgrade from the CD
or USB Flash drives/sticks. Is that how it supposed to work?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie/novice which I am. ;) Thank you in advance.

--
"An anthill increases by accumulation. / Medicine is consumed by distribution. / That which is
feared lessens by association. / This is the thing to understand." --Siddha Nagarjuna
| |o   o| |                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                        Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    ( )