Re: OK i found out what process is using up all the CPU resources!

From: Dave Platt (dplatt_at_radagast.org)
Date: 07/14/03

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:23:28 -0000

In article <ilEQa.3002$104.231511@news20.bellglobal.com>,
Not me <themanjerca@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>OK, I found out which process is using up all the CPU resources (98-99%) and
>ONLY when my PCMCIA card is plugged in!
>
>It is one that is called:
>
>Ksoftirqd_CPUO

I believe that this is the kernel thread which is used to handle the
"bottom half" code for device drivers.

What this indicates, I believe, is that your PCMCIA card's driver is
misbehaving. It's generating (or being fooled into generating) a
never-ending barrage of bogus device interrupts. This is forcing the
system to call the driver's bottom-half service routine over and over
and over... and so the CPU is never allowed to sleep when the system
is otherwise idle.

My guess is that the device driver you are trying to use isn't yet
fully debugged, and has some errors in it.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org>                                   AE6EO