lilo install problem

From: Jacques Charroy (jcharroy_at_club-internet.fr)
Date: 07/18/03

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:11:08 +0200

hello,
I use a suse 7.3 distribution and had installed lilo on the mbr during
installation.
But I couldn't get windows (95) to be booted first even by putting
default=windows or default=hdc1
in the lilo.conf file. So I used Yast1 to setup lilo once again and by
error set it up on the boot sector of the root partition. Now windows is
the default boot but it doesn't boot right: just after the lilo screen,
I get this error message:
I/O error
replace it and hit a key
which probably means that I got a boot sector problem.
by using a windows boot disk, I'm able to access the windows disk,
though.

Here's the KDE report on my disk partitions (I have only one hard disk,
hdc and hda is the cdrom drive):

        major: minor: #blocks: use:
hdc: 22 0 8257032 I guess it
represents the hardware
hdc1: 22 1 6369741 windows
hdc2: 22 2 1 (?) I don't
understand the use of it
hdc5: 22 5 24066 /boot
hdc6: 22 6 136521 /swap
hdc7: 22 7 1718823 /

Does somebody know how I can get windows to boot once again?
thanks a lot in advance,
Jacques Charroy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: *** STOP: (0x0000007B,0XF85438D0,0XC000009C,0X00000000,0x00000
    ... To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP CD-Rom ... and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. ... | Dave I could not create a boot disk at home, but I had created one at work ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: CHKDSK repeatedly runs.
    ... How do I change the registry so this doesn't keep happening? ... There are times when the disk checking utility needs to ... run before you boot into Windows. ... I have a two year old laptop running Windows XP. ...
  • Re: New HDD Installation
    ... while your installation is up and running use the Disk Management tool and make sure that you have a properly identified System Partition and that it is marked as "Active". ... If it is so identified and marked and still won't boot then do both commands as Ron suggested. ... Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console ... It would take awhile but I am willing to start fresh if it gets the new HDD in and the small out. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Start Up Error Messages
    ... That hangs around for c 20 seconds and then the boot ... Go a head and remove and run disk clean up and see if the check disk will ... How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP ... Under General Tab clear your History, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Moving beyond "Tutorial: Building and Deploying a Run-Time Ima
    ... try running TAP.exe under Windows 98 to ... missing a critical boot device, ... > I did partition/format the disk in the development PC using NTFS. ... drive while it was in the target PC and "it" works fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)