SBC DSL and Linux

From: Keegan Alex (keeganalex_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/21/03

Date: 21 Jul 2003 09:08:29 -0700

Hi folks,

I'm looking into switching from Road Runner to SBC DSL, but I know
little to nothing about DSL.

I don't do ISP's that require installing proprietary software (AOL,
MSN, etc), but when I review the SBC DSL website, they have a "Minimum
System Requirements" chart:
http://www01.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/0,,55,00.html .

I can understand this to a point since they won't want to put it on
some old lady's computer who has a Pentium 75 with Windows 3.11, but I
want to verify they don't use some proprietary software that makes the
whole thing work. I want the 'network' portion and 'computer' portion
of my computer network to be seperate and independent of one another.

Does anyone else use SBC DSL with Linux? I want to host several
websites plus use it for web browsing. I'll probably keep RR and DSL
concurrently, and if DSL doesn't pan out, drop it. But my goal is to
run a web-server from home via the DSL.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions,

Keegan.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Broadband Speed
    ... >> At least with DSL, ADSL or Cable, one doesn't have to jump through the ... > Install their software in order to validate before they will let you ... > SBC DSL connections, each one required that their Software be installed ... friends with ADSL and same story. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: new dsl filters??
    ... > I have had my SBC DSL for a year and now all my landlines are having ... > Oh also my filters is by the company 2wire.. ... static changes while DSL noise is steady. ... Unplug that and plug the DSL filter in it's place and then ...
    (comp.dcom.xdsl)
  • Re: Another newbie SBC dsl ?
    ... The signal then travels across the phone lines to ... >> My activation date for dsl is next Tuesday. ... >I just got SBC DSL about two weeks ago. ... Connected the DSL modem to PC (Windows ...
    (comp.dcom.xdsl)
  • Re: Another newbie SBC dsl ?
    ... > & hardware. ... I just got SBC DSL about two weeks ago. ... Connected the DSL modem to PC (Windows ...
    (comp.dcom.xdsl)
  • 1812w Load Balance two internet connections
    ... connections (dsl) and to portion them out on the single router. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)