Re: RH9 boot crashes and loops

From: Kenneth Porter (ken.blacklist_at_sewingwitch.com)
Date: 08/04/03

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 16:49:14 GMT

Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@verizon.net> wrote in news:AZbXa.7096$W%3.5007
@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

> OK. Boot into "rescue" mode with the RedHat installation CD. Allow it to
> find and mount the native hard drives, at /mnt/sysimage for RedHat. Copy
> or download the kernel in question. I, for example, tend to do "chroot
> /mnt/sysimage" and then run "service network restart" so I have network
> access, and ftp things from a mirror site to avoid swapping out CD's or
> floppies.
>
> Install the new kernel with "rpm -i kernel-debug-{}.rpm", edit lilo.conf
> if using it or doublecheck your grub.conf file, and reboot without the
> CD. This *should* let you select the appropriate kernel, if LILO or grub
> is getting far enough.

Aha, the chroot makes it possible to install RPM's into the system-under-
test.

I've manually edited grub.conf before on other systems, so I'm pretty
comfortable with getting that working. (Well, as comfortable as one can get
editing a critical boot file. ;) At least the rescue CD lets me fix any
boo-boos.)

--
Kenneth Porter
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FTP guest access chroot not working
    ... the "root" dir for the chroot is /home/someguy/ftp ... # chroot ftp users ... cannot get out of that jail. ... if you created a symlink inside the jail that points to some real ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Multi kernel tree support on the same distro?
    ... what I've done is create a chroot environment. ... into that at chroot directory. ... from that computer to a directory on your development computer. ... I am looking to use multiple kernel trees on the same distro. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: FTPS Server?
    ... port numbers by deep packet inspection. ... It behaves exactly like an ordinary FTP ... See the chroot configuration in the man-page for sshd_config ... case standard port 22 stops working. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Q: Impact of globbing vulnerability in ftpd
    ... so ftpd is already chrooted and running with the uid of the user at ... sufficient to allow the vulnerability to be exploited. ... compounded because the FTP server only runs with an effective UID of the ... there are processes outside of the chroot() running as the same user. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: mysql-server 64 bit on a 32 bit lenny
    ... i need to install mysql-server-5.1 amd64 on it. ... This system is already running l 64 bit kernel. ... install a Squeeze chroot on your Lenny system. ... He didn't say he couldn't upgrade to 64-bit. ...
    (Debian-User)