Re: Linux Internal Modem

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_verizon.net)
Date: 08/15/03

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:31:06 GMT

Alan Connor wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2003 15:53:20 -0700, Deton8tor <cmomoh@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
>

>>I just found a site that sells Linux internal modems.
>>The page is crappy but the modem works.
>

> There's no such thing as a "Linux internal modem".
>

> I just installed Debian on an old compaq with an "internal" modem.
>
> They are just like external modems but are on a PCI or other card, and have
> been around and usable by Linux for years and years.

Umm. The page may have referred to a "Winmodem", which are their own
adventure. A bunch of the old modem behavior is taken up by the CPU
instead on those, and thus appropriate drivers are needed. They're
cheaper than the standard old internal modems, and the vendors
originally released drivers only for Windows. It took some time for the
Linux weasels to reverse engineer the stupid spec-violating pieces of
cheapshit poor quality badly soldered !@#$, but in most cases there are
now good Linux drivers for them.

> Not only are you a spammer, but you are ignorant as hell.
>
> No one in their right mind would buy any computer components from you.

It was a pretty stupid page and ad.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: What modems work with Ubuntu?
    ... And the reality is that Linux support for these winmodems is ... law) winmodems and creating Linux drivers. ... I doubt that that any internal modems manufactured ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Bestmatic Winmodem
    ... > under Linux. ... Frankly though considering compatible hardware modems can be found for ... drivers but if you're determined to use that modem in Linux, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: USR 5633 Robotics Modem in Debian
    ... old serial modems are much better than ... USB ones (no drivers needed);-( ... linux support in their literature and work using the kernel's ACM driver. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Well, here goes....
    ... For PCI card modems, ... Only after your chipset has been ... modem driver, supplied by the modem company's OWN site (not the place ... advanced doctorate in linux networking and developement... ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: HELP: Fedora 2 and internet config
    ... >I've just installed Fedora Core 2 and I'm a new Linux user; ... >to the Internet configuration ... A number of the "soft modems" (also known as ... Far from all modems have Linux drivers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)