Re: funny hostname thing..

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 08/16/03

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:56:44 +0200

jon akeson <jon_akeson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi. I just blew away Windows XP and installed LINUX on my laptop PC.
> The Windows OS has a host name of 'geranium'. I am connected to a DSL
> router that provides DHCP addresses to the computer. An 'nslookup' or

And what hostname do you tell the dsl router that you have? What
domain?

> 'host' command, looking for the host name 'geranium' will find nothing
> from the DNS servers I use with the DSL line. Apparently the DSL

But what domain do you search in? "geranium" is not a FQDN! You can't
look it up without a domain as context!

> router provides the DHCP address, and the router itself has a static
> address; it has some page-and-a-half-long DNS name that does not look
> or sound like 'geranium'.

Good.

> So I threw the CD in my laptop and blew away 'geranium'. Formatted

Why? All you have to do is give yourself a FQDN, of the form
"geranium.me.mine". That's it. Make sure it is alieased to "geranium"
in /etc/hosts - not that it matters overmuch since you will be telling
your dhcp server whatyour hostname and domain is, and it apparently is
where you are looking things up via dns.

> everything, etc. The install was pretty much default. I do not

Then don't do a "default". That means "idiot computer style". Take
charge.

> believe I ever told the LINUX intaller what to call the PC, but when

Then tell it.

> the thing boots up and goes into GNOME it starts out with an error
> that says 'can't find DNS entry for "geranium"..'

Obviously since you didn't tell the dhcp client to tell the server the
hostname, the server is telling you your hostname. And you haven't
got the gumption to stick up for yourself, or give the router as dns
server ..

> How does my fresh new LINUX install know what my old hostname is?

It doesn't. Ask your router/dhcp server.

Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Simultaneous DSL and cable modem access on a SBS network...sorf ot.
    ... Your existing router would be surplus to requirements. ... Cable connection. ... I have my MX records pointing to the DSL line, as primary, ... The server and the fax (the line the DSL modem ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Simultaneous DSL and cable modem access on a SBS network...sorf ot.
    ... Your existing router would be surplus to requirements. ... Cable connection. ... I have my MX records pointing to the DSL line, ... The server and the fax (the line the DSL modem ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Simultaneous DSL and cable modem access on a SBS network...sorf ot.
    ... cable over from it to one of the WAN ports on the Dual WAN router. ... Your existing router would be surplus to requirements. ... I have my MX records pointing to the DSL line, as primary, ... The server and the fax (the line the DSL modem ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [SLE] routing between subnets
    ... Your DSL must support acting as a router or you ... > am trying to hook up several jetdirect printers via eth0 on my home server. ... > So I have two network cards in the server, and machines on each subnet can ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: tcp/ip routing question / router design EDITED
    ... I am missing one peice of my designed network. ... Now the peice im missing is the router, ... i can use the DSL as the router but im restricted to one LAN that way (so i ... i can use a pc as my router and loose a server from my network, ...
    (Security-Basics)