Mandrake 9.1 problem with MS Intellieye Mouse (USB)

From: John (john1290_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/20/03

Date: 19 Aug 2003 18:31:59 -0700

First off, sorry for the cross posting! I'm just trying to reach the
widest audience. I'm brand new to the world of Linux!

Down to business. I installed Mandrake 9.1 and during the entire
installation process my mouse worked perfectly. After the PC reset and
it started to boot up, my Intellieye mouse dies and refuses to work
unless I go into the BIOS and change the interupt mode from APIC to
PIC. Then the mouse is perfect except when I boot back into Windows XP
then my computer hangs and refuses to boot until I switch the irq mode
back to APIC. I understand what APIC/PIC is for but why is it killing
my mouse in Mandrake with APIC turned on?

When I installed Mandrake (which I re-did a few times) I tried
checking the box to 'Force PIC' and this made no difference. Checking
or un-checking it, no dice either way.

So since I'm new to Linux I thought lemme try a distro that looks a
lot like Windows XP. I turned to Lycoris. Using the most stable build
(a year old) it gets to the 'Launching Lizard' part during the bootup
process and my PC hangs. I went to the console and saw some errors
about it not being to create some files/folders. Yes, I followed the
instructions to hit Alt-f3 during boot and then log in as root and
type cd /tmp then rm * and that did squat. It seems that a LOT, and I
mean LOT, of people are having the exact same probs with this build
and even their beta (rc0 114? 119?) build and the only answer they can
spit out on their forums to us is..."download the checksum file and
make sure your ISO is not damaged". IMHO, that's a sad sad way to
avoid helping people.

On the plus side, Knoppix (Linux on a CD) loads and sees my USB mouse
just fine. But since they don't have a GUI installer and all......I
think I'll pass on them. My last hope is Redhat I guess.

So if somebody knows a WORKING fix for Lycoris or a way to get
Mandrake to see my USB mouse without having to change the IRQ mode
every reboot, I'd much appreciate it!!

Feel free to email me at john1290@hotmail.com

System specs:
ASUS P4S533 motherboard (SiS chipset)
1 gig of DDR ram
Pentium 4 2.0Ghz
120 gig IDE NTFS C: drive
80 gig IDE drive for Linux (I'll be using the "boot loader from
floppy" option
GeForce 4 Ti4400 128 megs of ram
SBLive OEM
SiS built in ethernet
USB ports are built in (ohci) (tried all USB ports and same prob)
52x CD-burner

Again, thanks for any/all help!