Newbie question - partition

From: Radu (alexraduREMOVETHIS_at_sprint.ca)
Date: 08/29/03

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 02:29:00 -0400

Hi. I'm (more than) new to Linux - although I'm a seasoned windows user. I
plan to get Suse 8.2. When I installed win2000 on my computer I've been lazy
and I've set my whole HD as a single partition - C:

Can I install Linux WITHOUT wiping out all my work on this computer ? I
mean, will the installation program detect a some free space on my HD (I
have plenty) and somehow steal that space & change it from NTFS to...
whatever Linux uses ? Or should I reformat my drive and start from scratch
(that would mean at least three days of work, in my config) ?

Thank you

Relevant Pages

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Yast update log location? - SOLVED
    ... The Announcement that Suse 9.2 is no longer supported with updates came last week. ... and hopefully the recent M$-Novell deal will make a future version that is easier to use/operate without losing the strengths of Linux. ... I've installed and used 6 different Linux distros as a separate distro, since it is different enough from the community versions of 8, 9, and 10 that I have tried). ... It was obvious that SLES 10 is a commercial product by its install and its default configuration. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Novell reports loss
    ... >> Well if every idiot who can't RTFM and screws up the install would quit ... > users who try to swtich to linux beacuse of license problem. ... but they want to switch to SuSE. ... got all kinds of nify GUI help in installing the drivers. ...
    (SuSE)