Dual Boot XP - RH 9 problem

From: Kevin (kevin.matan_at_REMOVE.corp.stargate.net)
Date: 11/08/03

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:46:51 -0500

I orginally had XP Pro installed with a large amount of free space, so I
created the usual partition at the end of the drive to install RedHat 9.0.

Everything with the installation went just fine. I chose to install GRUB.
I made a boot disc. I am able to boot into RH9 with the boot disc just fine
(boots into XP without the disc), however I'd like to config the NT
Bootloader to recognize Redhat and boot from it as well.

While in a shell I did the following:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy <return>

dd if=/dev/hdc5 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1 <return>

It copied the LINUX.BIN file to the floppy just fine.

I rebooted into XP and copied LINUX.BIN from the floppy to my XP drive
(F:).

Then, I went into the boot.ini file and added
F:\LINUX.BIN="Linux"

The boot.ini currently looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect
F:\LINUX.BIN="Linux"

When I restart Windows, I get the bootloader with two options. XP first,
then Redhat. XP boots just fine. If I select Redhat, I get something to
the effect of:

Windows could not be started.
<windows root>\sys32\hal.dll
Please reinstall

If I do a hard reset, I can still boot into Windows.

My question is, Do I need to modify the boot.ini file in some other way? Or
is there something else I missed?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cannot Boot Into any Option for Safe Mode
    ... NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the original XP CD maybe help? ... How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP ... An upgrade will probably not fix anything where a clean install might. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: WINDOWS XP WONT BOOT
    ... you can to a repair install but you cannot do it ... Now, if a retail disk doesn't work, you could install XP to a different ... When I rebooted, it told me to hit> any key to start CD ROM boot and then it went back into> the same old screen as I originally described. ... The disc I was using> was the Windows XP disc that came with my Dell but since I> bought it, the hard drive had to be changed and I now have ...
  • Re: PLEASE HELP: 2 ERROR MESSAGES
    ... The advice to do a repair install, turned out to be a grievous and expensive ... The repair install caused a corruption and windows became ... It seems as though it would not boot from the CD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Automatic Downloads Activation Issues
    ... repair install as follows: ... NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if ... Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an ... with the option to setup Windows or Repair Windows Installation ...
  • Re: XP HOME BOOT FAILURE
    ... Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select ... download install and run the application: ... A repair install should bypass that but it will ... >> on, follow the screens. ...