Re: HELP! password and login

From: Michael C. (mcsuper5_at_usol.com)
Date: 11/09/03

Date: 9 Nov 2003 17:51:03 GMT

On 7 Nov 2003 18:11:54 -0800,
jiapan <jiaqingpan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> i've forgotten my linux login and password.
>
> is there some way to skip the login process?
>
> What's the default login/password linux gives at installation?
You aren't usually asked to login before you set the root password.

At lilo prompt try

linux root=/dev/hdaX init=/bin/sh

Substitute the appropriate device for /dev/hdaX.

Michael C.

--
mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

  • Re: Linux authentication via AD
    ... Primarily I need to integrate Linux ... servers, but I do have a few OpenBSD servers. ... > a way to do this under older AIX) allows people to login authenticating ... > text passwords authenticate to the Windows Password Server as well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: linux to unix
    ... becuase I only can login and use my applications. ... we can migrate our clients to linux. ... I have found that several SCO Unix text mode applications ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Different actions on different passwords?
    ... is it possible to dictate two different actions upon login with different passwords? ... in computing almost anything is possible if you really want to achieve it. ... Given that on Unix-style systems, including Linux, the login program can be changed, you can modify the source ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux Samba on Win2K AD Domain
    ... I'm not very familiar with the Novell SuSE product, ... X login manager and xok group ... >> I have recently installed Suse Linux 9.1 on my new notebook. ... >> to be able to login against my Windows 2000 domain. ...