Re: What's the RPM command to upgrade?

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de)
Date: 12/16/03

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:20:25 +0100

Allen <umayxa3@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed Red Hat 7 from CD, now I want to upgrade over the internet
> but I don't know the RPM command to upgrade over the internet.

> I tried:
> >rpm --upgrade http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/SRPMS
> But that errors with "error: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.W3HkPD does not appear
> to be a RPM package"

> Can someone tell me how to upgrade from RH7 to RH9?

You can't usually upgrade a rpm driven distro via Internet,
download the .iso(s). I'd go for a fresh installation, backup
/home and all config files.

To backup every config file on you box that came with rpm you
could use something like this (as root) from some xterm/VT:

# rpm -qac | tar -cvzf `hostname`.cf.tar.gz -T - 2>/dev/null

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming
inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Relevant Pages

  • [SLE] After 9.2->9.3 problem with ppp0
    ... internet, I used rpm to upgrade from 9.2->9.3 No difficulties, except ... now external modem can't connect to isp, apparently because ppp0 (manual start, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Whats the RPM command to upgrade?
    ... I installed Red Hat 7 from CD, now I want to upgrade over the internet ... but I don't know the RPM command to upgrade over the internet. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • A NEW INTERNET IS COMING! - Web 2.0 Full Internet Upgrade -
    ... I found this new FULL INTERNET UPGRADE technology that is about to ... We have members from all over the world. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: migration W2K --> XP: what about data and programs ?
    ... If you get the upgrade, ... However, with the upgrade, you will always at least have the install ... Stay disconnected from the Internet until you ... to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: migration from W2K to XP
    ... If you get the upgrade, ... However, with the upgrade, you will always at least have the install ... Stay disconnected from the Internet until you ... to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)