Re: What's the RPM command to upgrade?

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de)
Date: 12/16/03

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:20:25 +0100

Allen <umayxa3@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I installed Red Hat 7 from CD, now I want to upgrade over the internet
> but I don't know the RPM command to upgrade over the internet.

> I tried:
> >rpm --upgrade http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/SRPMS
> But that errors with "error: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.W3HkPD does not appear
> to be a RPM package"

> Can someone tell me how to upgrade from RH7 to RH9?

You can't usually upgrade a rpm driven distro via Internet,
download the .iso(s). I'd go for a fresh installation, backup
/home and all config files.

To backup every config file on you box that came with rpm you
could use something like this (as root) from some xterm/VT:

# rpm -qac | tar -cvzf `hostname`.cf.tar.gz -T - 2>/dev/null

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming
inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM