Re: Newbie with knoppix

From: Malke (malke_at_nospoon.com)
Date: 12/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:44:45 GMT

Jack100 wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm brand new to Linux, and just got the Knoppix disc in the mail.
>
> My problem is that when I boot up the disc, everything seems to go
> right
> until the main screen comes up. Then a small window comes up and
> loads the peripherals, files and such. Then it says "restoring
> session" which stays on 0%. Then the whole thing freezes up, and I
> can't get anything to work. My mouse is a PS/2 compatible wheelmouse,
> so I don't think that's it. I've tried a number of the Knoppix cheat
> codes, and that didn't help.

I think we need to know your system specs, including what monitor you
are using. It certainly sounds like Knoppix is barfing on a piece of
hardware, probably video.

Malke

--
"I have a cunning plan..."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: XP PC will not boot
    ... The smallest distro I've tried, is Damn Small Linux, at 50MB. ... and it won't boot on my computer. ... Knoppix, ... the source partitions can remain read-only while you're working. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Erratic Crashes at Boot (Was Power Supply Cause of Crashes? )
    ... > The best course is probably to boot off a CD, ... > files from the hard disk, and then re-install. ... and generally how Linux works. ... I still find it odd that Knoppix gives the fsck thumbs up, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Linux os
    ... Both Ubuntu and Knoppix, have Linux "live" CDs ... you can download. ... you have a Linux boot disk. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Ubuntu 8.04.01 Live CD hangs up.
    ... overall philosophy and enthusiasm of the Linux community spirit and goals). ... I then booted with the CD, and selected the "Try Ubuntu" (the option that ... Hi there - it always sucks when your media fails to boot. ... Maybe a Knoppix CD would be useful for testing. ...
    (Ubuntu)