Re: Backing up NIS & NFS

From: Chris Cox (ccox_nopenotthis_at_airmail.net)
Date: 12/22/03

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:03:43 -0600

Steve Jenkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wonder if anyone can help. I'm considering my companies' disaster
> recovery plan, and currently we've got a Linux server powering our
> NIS/NFS setup. If this server dies, so does NIS and NFS.
>
> In the same way that with a Windows domain you can have primary and
> secondary domain controllers, is it possible to have primary and
> secondary NIS/NFS controllers, so that if one dies the other can carry
> on? Will the secondary keep a complete mirror copy of the domain?

What we do is we have an NIS master and an NIS slave. Both
also export NFS home areas using a disk that both systems can
see. If one system fails, the NFS mounts will no longer work.
However, it is fairly trivial to mount the failed machine's
NFS area and export it.... and then change the DNS entry
to use just the one server for a while.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: incomplete passwd file
    ... One of our servers (RHAS 4, NIS ... We booted from CD copying a backup over the passwd file. ... The server lost ... connection to NIS and NFS before this problem appeared (NIS and NFS ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Does there exist something like a networked filestorage
    ... number of machines. ... They might use NIS, NIS+, LDAP or something else for name ... BTW, you can have a "default" server for all user homes, and then specify ... etc.) to reside on specific other NFS servers. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: How to block Kazaa; NIS authentication
    ... NFS, and then set up the other FC1 machines to authenticate with NIS. ... As far as blocking Kazaa on the server, ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: NIS on a school network - need some clarifications
    ... Look to NFS to do that for you. ... > I knew about NIS from readings of the handbook years ago, ... I understand the NIS ... > accounts reside on the master server and I have to add users on the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • incomplete passwd file
    ... One of our servers (RHAS 4, NIS ... NFS client) lost parts of its /etc/passwd. ... The server lost ... connection to NIS and NFS before this problem appeared (NIS and NFS ...
    (Fedora)