/boot partition?

From: Magoo (johnheim_at_nospam.tds.net)
Date: 12/22/03

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:34:38 +0000 (UTC)

I am trying to switch from Red Hat to debian. I'm installing debian
woody on a i386 system but I'm a little iffy on the partitioning. So I
decided to try to rtf the FAQ. I found this doc:

http://pw1.netcom.com/~kmself/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

One thing I'm puzzled about is that the author of the FAQ has a /boot
partition but it's not bootable. My old Red Hat machine has a /boot
partition and it is bootable. I let RH do the partitioning for me when
I installed it.

I decided to try to copy what the RH machine had but I'm not sure how.
I created a small partition at the beginning of the drive and mounted
/boot on it. I made a much larger partition after that and mounted / on
it.

But now debian is asking me if I want to put lilo in the boot sector on
/boot partition or put a MBR on /. It says I probably want to do the
latter. It also seem to think I have another operating system installed
on the drive somewhere (which I don't.)

Does it do any good to have a /boot partition if it's not bootable?

Also, I need to configure a serial console so I can get the boot
messages on another machine. Can I do that if I put lilo in the boot
sector?

--
Magoo