/boot partition?

From: Magoo (johnheim_at_nospam.tds.net)
Date: 12/22/03

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:34:38 +0000 (UTC)

I am trying to switch from Red Hat to debian. I'm installing debian
woody on a i386 system but I'm a little iffy on the partitioning. So I
decided to try to rtf the FAQ. I found this doc:

http://pw1.netcom.com/~kmself/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

One thing I'm puzzled about is that the author of the FAQ has a /boot
partition but it's not bootable. My old Red Hat machine has a /boot
partition and it is bootable. I let RH do the partitioning for me when
I installed it.

I decided to try to copy what the RH machine had but I'm not sure how.
I created a small partition at the beginning of the drive and mounted
/boot on it. I made a much larger partition after that and mounted / on
it.

But now debian is asking me if I want to put lilo in the boot sector on
/boot partition or put a MBR on /. It says I probably want to do the
latter. It also seem to think I have another operating system installed
on the drive somewhere (which I don't.)

Does it do any good to have a /boot partition if it's not bootable?

Also, I need to configure a serial console so I can get the boot
messages on another machine. Can I do that if I put lilo in the boot
sector?

--
Magoo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How do I partition a 250 gb drive for a dual boot setup?
    ... Broadcom BCM4312(I tried installing debian 6 some while ago but had no ... then installing it on the laptop. ... I was thinking about making a windows partition of ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: where to ask about problems with bsdinstall in 9.0RC2?
    ... In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 389, Issue 8, Message: ... Have you tried installing with "ACPI" disabled. ... my mind it points to a relatively large deficiency in bsdinstall versus ... The second URL describes the Manual vs. Guided install and partition ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Installing Ubuntu on a laptop that has Windows 7 and Linux Mint
    ... on installing Ubuntu 11.10 and Linux Mint 12. ... according to the "Manual Partition" option. ... among many distros, so you only need one of these. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze
    ... booted to the CD and I am currently installing Debian ... I have an 80 gig Western Digital Hard disk with Windows installed. ... have arrived at the part where its asking me to partition the 2nd hard ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Hard drive setup...
    ... partition to another drive and dual boot it with the newly installed OS ... (provided this is done before installing any apps). ... you could anticipate the need to make an image backup in the ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)