Re: Help!! GTAN-Grub Troubling Another Newbie

From: Douglas Mayne (doug_at_SLACKWARE-1.localnet)
Date: 12/24/03

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:32:04 -0700

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:20:01 -0800, xunitinmullik wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I installed RH 9.0 on my HP Pavillion N5495 notebook which already has
> windows XP running. I tried to make it double boot using grub but it
> isnt working out ( I had another problems too like diplay smaller than
> the screen.. but i think i can live with it for the time being).
> It'll be really appreciable if smbdy could help me with the editing
> required in my grub conf file.
> Below is my grub.conf file(i installed grub on the first sector of the
> linux partition during the installation):
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> # root (hd0,2)
> # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
> # initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda3
> default=2
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-24.9)
> root (hd0,2)
># kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> initrd /initrd-2.4.20-24.9.img
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
> title Windows XP
> rootnoverify (hd0,1)
                makeactive
> chainloader +1
>

> My hdd organisation is:
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3648 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 1 3 24066 a0 IBM Thinkpad
> hibernation
> /dev/hda2 * 4 3140 25197952+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/hda3 3141 3153 104422+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda4 3154 3648 3976087+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hda5 3154 3583 3453943+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda6 3584 3648 522081 82 Linux swap
>

> Thanks,
> Nitin Mullik
>

> P.S.: Btw, I wont mind if smbdy could temme the correct display
> settings for HP pavillion N5495 ;)

Sorry, I don't know anything about a N5495.

Caveat: I am not running Windows XP. Also, I haven't tried the method
recommended below personally. I prefer to boot NT (and its
derivatives) using Grub installed at the MBR. You have opted to use
Microsoft's MBR loader; therefore, these instructions may apply to you:

        http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

The short summary is to get a copy of grub's boot sector code into a file
which can be transfered to your Windows partition (called linux.bin on the
linked page.) Then modify Window's boot.ini to reference that file.

Maybe, something like this...

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect
c:\linux.bin="Linux"

--
There's two kinds of people,
them goin' somewhere and them goin' nowhere. And's that what's true.

Relevant Pages

  • fixing grub : mbr fix when windows install after linux
    ... "There is not a boot manager screen at all, ... windows but GRUB boot window does not appear. ... "I forgot to install GRUB, I didn't install GRUB in the MBR, I chose ... Fedora but that was not an active primary partition". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Boot manager for Windows only
    ... And also is GRUB capable of booting any ... > Windows partition or will it always hand over to the XP boot loader? ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [opensuse] dual boot issues
    ... I am still unable to boot into the Win7 partition from grub. ... I have set up SuSE machines to dual boot into Windows since SuSE ... Since the Windows 7 boot sector was corrupted during the install of grub ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: New boot error message
    ... for my windows installation to boot up. ... It looks like you have grub in the MBR of the boot disk, ... access drives marked as bootable so it was failing to find my 3TB drive. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: [SLE] reboot
    ... > 9.3 has a long-click reboot that lets you choose what grub boots. ... Your problem will be how to reboot out of windows, ... As to the mechanics of how KDM instructs grub to boot some alternative ...
    (SuSE)