determining the smallest Linux installation to run a particular app

From: Bob Kircher (robert.c.kircher_at_boeing.com)
Date: 01/07/04

    Date: 7 Jan 2004 11:22:09 -0800

    Because my Linux app needs to be distributed with the OS, and I want
    to minimize the overall size of the distribution, I need to determine
    the smallest set of packages that are required to run my app.

    Is there a programmatic way to determine this?

    Thanks

    Bob Kircher
    Seattle, WA

    • Re: determining the smallest Linux installation to run a particular app
      ... >> Because my Linux app needs to be distributed with the OS, ... >> to minimize the overall size of the distribution, ... >> the smallest set of packages that are required to run my app. ... if your installation is kickstart based or your ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: determining the smallest Linux installation to run a particular app
      ... Bob Kircher wrote: ... > Because my Linux app needs to be distributed with the OS, ... > to minimize the overall size of the distribution, ... Now if your program forks and execs other processes, ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: Fedora Extras is extra
      ... BTW Some Red Hat packages used to have similar things ... > external contraints allow you to bend to work inside what fedora ... > but not their own infrastructure for distribution. ... Fedora Extras will have the same policy. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Secrecy and user trust
      ... Were packages signed by the replacement key distributed? ... trusted "new" public key, it can be used to check the signing on any ... The current distribution has the ability to do this, ... I can't say if any updates past the install ...
      (Fedora)
    • embedded linux distributions, a few thoughts
      ... open source distribution that I can customize and recompile from ... packages which are tested together, ... care for .debs to be involved either, if not as packages for the host ... out a quick x86 system" so that it would be easy to start trying them out. ...
      (comp.os.linux.embedded)