Re: Lilo booting whitout vmlinuz ??

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 01/12/04

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:12:28 -0500

"Leon." <noemail@noemail.noemail.com> wrote in message
news:3ffab7c2$1@news.rivernet.com.au...

> "Andreas Janssen" <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > Corrado Labinaz (<corradolab@virgilio.it>) wrote:
> >
> > > I've installed Mandrake 9.1 on a VMWare virtual machine.
> > >
> > > Yesterday, while playing with /boot, I deleted the kernel
> > > (vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk), beliving it was an older version, while it
> > > was the current one (vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk).
> > > I did the same with config, initrd.img and System.map...
> > >
> > > A ls -l later I realized I did a really stupid thing and screwed up my
> > > whole installation. I rebooted sure I had to reinstall/repair from
> > > Mandrake CD, but, instead, my system booted just fine.
> > >
> > > Can somebody explain this?
> > > Is the kernel stored elsewhere after invoking /sbin/lilo?
> > > Or am I just lucky the deleted kernel disk sectors have not been
> > > overwritten yet?
> >
> > You are lucky. Lilo does not access the kernel image through the file
> > system. As deleting the file does not remove it, lilo probably can
> > still find it,
>

> BTW, the location of where the kernel is , is stored in the file
/boot/map.

> So lilo doesnt actually read the filesystem - it just reads the sectors
> directly to read /boot/map, and then from /boot/map it can find the
sectors
> that store the kernel.
>
> and yep, rm'ing the image didnt overwrite the sectors of the kernel image
> file.
> So the kernel image as described by /boot/map was still there.

Heh. I ran into this once with an OS image being installed on a hard drive
using "dd". The OS image builder had not actually been doing LILO, he'd been
installing things on top of his dd'ed image, so he hadn't noticed that the
new kernels didn't actually work.

That... took a while to clean up when I figured out what was going on.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: lilo
    ... simply installing lilo and they boot fine - no problem. ... change /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the newly installed kernel. ... You may want to take a look at the grubby man page. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... On simple standard system -- one disk, one kernel in /boot, no fancy ... This is enough to use grub2 for new installing of Debian. ... Currently, automatic installation of grub in the MBR is a no-go for me, ... we still need an alternative - I would say: LiLO. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer ... for lilo myself. ... and DSF (Device Support Facilities). ... was that a new kernel was installed without lilo being run. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it
    ... At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit ... You see, the kernel image on disk, ... The compression ratio for an amd64-architecture kernel is significantly ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Choosing default OS in multi boot system
    ... I do not hate grub, since when you do not have complex needs it ... But when you need to take control on your boot loader, Lilo is ... install a new kernel, you have to tell LILO where to find the new file. ...
    (Debian-User)