Re: Problems installing kernel 2.6.1

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 01/14/04

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:32:58 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:58:00 +0000, Jonath typed:

> Hi there,
>
> I've previously tried posting this message in linux.kernel but it never
> appeared (it's moderated). Was that wrong of me? Anyway . . . maybe this
> newsgroup then.
>
> I'm trying to install kernel 2.6.1 (I'm currently running Redhat 9,
> kernel version 2.4.20-8 on an i686-based system), following the
> instructions given at http://buildkernel.stearns.org/, which states:
>
> If you have an rpm based system (RedHat, Caldera, SuSE or Mandrake),
> here's how to get going:
>
> 1. rpm -Uvh http://www.stearns.org/samlib/samlib-0.2-0.noarch.rpm 2. rpm
> -Uvh
> ftp://buildkernel.stearns.org/pub/wstearns/buildkernel/buildkernel-1.06-1.noarch.rpm
> 3. buildkernel NEWESTSTABLE

<snip>

> Anyone any ideas? Help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Remove the two RPM packages you have installed, they are not needed at all
and do not apply;

$ rpm -e samlib buildkernel

Next read the directions provided by Red Hat here, but do not do anything
yet. You need to get your system ready to migrate to the new 2.6 kernels;

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html

Finally read this, it will help get your system ready for the new 2.6
kernels; http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

--
SCO + RICO Act = Justice
             Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Copy me to your .sig!

Relevant Pages

  • RPM Troubles... Again
    ... Well, for NO apparent reason AT ALL, RPM is giving me errors while ... Here are the errors while trying to grep the kernels I ... cannot open Packages index using db3 - Resource temporarily ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Garmin GPS 18LVC Setup but questions on best way
    ... RPM based code is not something I'm familiar with. ... with straight source code for kernels ie make make install type steps ... EMWIN data collection and retransmission, ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: [opensuse] KOTD source - strange rpm dependency failure
    ... failure on rpm -ivh ... I've been building kernels off and on for a few ... Update rpm. ... We switched to compressing the rpm payload with lzma because ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: eliminating old kernals
    ... to see which kernels you have installed. ... 'rpm -e kernel-version' ... Am I correct or looking for trouble? ... removal by hand makes the rpm database inconsitant ...
    (linux.redhat)