Re: Help installing Fedora

From: Richard Steven Hack (richardhack_at_prontomail.com)
Date: 01/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:54:38 GMT

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:50:27 GMT, ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer)
wrote:

>Let me quote a passage from your reference above:
> (http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confJumpering.html)
>
> For performance reasons, it is better to avoid mixing slower and
> faster devices on the same channel. If you are going to share a
> channel between a hard disk and an ATAPI device, it is generally a
> good idea to make the hard disk the master. In some situations there
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> can be problems slaving a hard disk to an optical drive; it will
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> usually work but it is non-standard, and since there is no advantage
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> to making the ATAPI device the master, the configuration is best
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> avoided.
> ^^^^^^^^^

Christ, Peter, that's what I quoted to YOU! Where in hell does it say
there that CDs do not have the drive electronics to be masters on an
IDE channel? That article says nothing of the kind - it says "in some
situations" and in the context of speed issues, which are obvious, and
I said so earlier.

>Try and understand that I am not INTERESTED. I've simply pointed you
>to some clues, ones which you seem unable to find on your own. Take the
>hint! If I were as interested as you I would be able to find what you
>seem not to be able to.

Ah, in other words, you're being "mysterious" and "educational".

Horseshit - you haven't a clue what you're talking about and you're
faking it with bluster as you usually do.

If you're "not interested", then drop the issue and have a nice night.
Otherwise, post a specific reference and a specific quote which
supports specifically your assertion that CDs do not have adequate
electronics to function as a master on an IDE channel.

Quit blathering, Peter. It may impress some people on these
newsgroups, bu it does not impress me, as you should know by now.

--
Richard Steven Hack
"Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Old /boot, Grub, FC3
    ... >> with a WD drive as master and an older Samsung CD drive as slave. ... >> to channel B. The logs show that FC3 booted and configured both IDE ... it is not Grub that is having ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: System doesnt boot, disk problem?
    ... Channel 0 Master ... Channel 0 Slave ... Windows "likes" being on IDE0 ... Boot your system using a Linux Live CD to check that there is nothing ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Help installing Fedora
    ... faster devices on the same channel. ... good idea to make the hard disk the master. ... to making the ATAPI device the master, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Strange PEER error with Danis 506 1.81 generic question
    ... on channel 0 with no slave then both a master and a slave on channel 1 - ... CDROM drives were not truly master/slave capable anywho. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: Jim, Premier et. guys...heres a video of my JCM
    ... Clearly the most significant sound changing adjustment on this amp is the master volume, and that basically has three settings: under 2 clean, at 2 driven, past 5, more bass. ... Well the boost channel is different, ... if the amp had the earlier scheme you are referring to, the behaviour of the MV "post 2" would be different; indeed it would be power tube or PI distortion. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)