DNS Name Server with one IP address

From: Ivan (ivanfernandes_at_flashmail.com)
Date: 01/21/04

Date: 21 Jan 2004 13:40:56 -0800

Hi all,

Scenario:-
Linsys Router
External IP (xxx.xx.xx.xx)
Internal IP (192.168.1.1)

Router DMZ on and points to Linux box (192.168.1.10)

Linux Box (192.168.1.10)

Now I have a domain name www.mydomain.com registered with a registrar
(Currently uses their dummy name servers need to supply my own)

1) I cannot ask my ISP for this service or the registrar due to $$
2) I would like to use run my own name server for flexibility (i will
find a secondary nameserver)
3) I have tried free name server providers (but the refresh times are
too long >24hr)

How do I set up so when a user points to www.mydomain.com so it
resolves to my Static IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx)?
My primary dns/www/mail server will all be on one machine
(192.168.1.10), is this configuration possible for an individual with
one IP address? If so how?
Please brief me on the DNS named and zone files as to what IP address
they should contain (local 192.168.1.10 or external (xx.xx.xx.xx)).

All suggestions welcome however wish your answer can be detailed as I
am now worn out....

p.s. I have gone through a lot of postings but not come across with my
setup above.(I could eliminate the router in between and configure
Linux as the router)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help again please
    ... I assume this is your linux box. ... Port 80 is the port that a web server will run on such as apache. ... As a router can support multiple machines, ... a good firewall when setup correctly. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Comcast & Routing
    ... You want to use a router with a built-in hub/switch. ... > web from the Windoze box (all my email etc. will go to the Linux box). ... experiment with setting up and running a proxy server. ... Comcast network need their own IP address. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Cant connet to the Internet.....
    ... Merv Porter [SBS MVP] ... > wanted to know if he could access the Linux box remotely. ... I have successfully implemented a SBS 2003 server ... point it to the LAN IP address of the router (probably ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: web hosting
    ... I need to ask if my ISP will allow me running a server ... I have a router connected to ... when you mention at your registrar, do you mean, the person who I bought the name from? ... also create a reverse DNS record (at your ISP or wherever you got your ...
  • Re: Help for a secure Firewall
    ... > router with static NAT to a Linux Box Server. ... > Obviously with NAT I could build a web-server! ... > configure the router with NAT to my linux box (all ports,!? ... > Is Apache a danger used also as a Proxy server? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)