Re: Strange formatting results with Advanced Server 2.1

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 01/25/04

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:20:14 GMT

Richard Steven Hack <richardhack@prontomail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:26:13 GMT, David <thunderbolt01@netscape.net> wrote:
> >linuxquestion@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> I just finished installing. Except for the swap
> >> partition, all the partitions were formatted as ext3.
> >>
> >> But, this is very strange. when I rebooted, I checked
> >> out the partitions. The first two were FAT16!!!
>
> He still has a valid question. Why didn't Red Hat format the
> partitions as ext3 when told to?

It did (for all we know). (hint: find your mistake).

> It shouldn't care what partition
> manager made the partitions - a partition is a partition.

Quite right. And a partition is not a file system (another hint).

> The OP might have made an error in commanding Red Hat, of course, but

He might.

> that needs to be verified.

But he didn't verify.

> If he didn't make a mistake, then the
> question is why Red Hat failed to format those two partitions while

The question is why you think it DIDN'T! Well? Speak up. All you have
seen is the partition type label, not the file system format!

> correctly formatting the others.

"Weird", isn't it? :-)

Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: interesting drive problem
    ... >>another computer's CD drive or by getting the install files from the ... >>Keep in mind that the file system you select may be an issue. ... I, too, have had issues with Red Hat's partition program, and I ... In the wake of the controversy over Red Hat Fedora, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • RE: infected HD wouldnt boot up, cleaned on another machine - help wi
    ... install and perform a complete Format not a Quick Format: ... Use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install ... Format the partition by using the NTFS file system ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Is FAT32 format gone?
    ... The theoretical limit for a FAT32 partition is 2 terabytes. ... ordinarily recommend using the NTFS file system in an XP environment. ... Just for the record, how would I format a FAT32 partition on, say, a 500 gig ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Digital backup for travelling
    ... > to format as NTFS. ... You will be able to use the 32 GB partition, ... "The FAT file system option is not available if the ... the Windows Setup program uses the FAT16 file system." ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Why did XP decide my partition has NO file system?
    ... reformatted in Disk Management - first using the quick format option. ... drive is again without a file system. ... CHKDSK started up to check my drive N: (the only partition ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)