Re: Strange formatting results with Advanced Server 2.1

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 01/25/04

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:20:14 GMT

Richard Steven Hack <richardhack@prontomail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 05:26:13 GMT, David <thunderbolt01@netscape.net> wrote:
> >linuxquestion@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> I just finished installing. Except for the swap
> >> partition, all the partitions were formatted as ext3.
> >>
> >> But, this is very strange. when I rebooted, I checked
> >> out the partitions. The first two were FAT16!!!
>
> He still has a valid question. Why didn't Red Hat format the
> partitions as ext3 when told to?

It did (for all we know). (hint: find your mistake).

> It shouldn't care what partition
> manager made the partitions - a partition is a partition.

Quite right. And a partition is not a file system (another hint).

> The OP might have made an error in commanding Red Hat, of course, but

He might.

> that needs to be verified.

But he didn't verify.

> If he didn't make a mistake, then the
> question is why Red Hat failed to format those two partitions while

The question is why you think it DIDN'T! Well? Speak up. All you have
seen is the partition type label, not the file system format!

> correctly formatting the others.

"Weird", isn't it? :-)

Peter