Re: acpi with fedora core 1

From: P Gentry (rdgentry1_at_cablelynx.com)
Date: 03/22/04

Date: 21 Mar 2004 17:50:18 -0800

francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr (François Patte) wrote in message news:<m0vfkyhlcx.fsf@apsara.homelinux.org>...
> Bonjour,
>
> I have just installed fedora and add "acpi=on" in the kernel command
> line of grub.conf. ACPI works correctly but the kernel wants to load
> all acpi modules at boot time and fails to do so for one of them (a
> "toshiba_acpi.o"); how can I tell the kernel to ignore that specific
> module? The use of "modules.conf" file is not relevant at this part of
> the boot time.
>
> Tie breaker: where could I find a comprehensive list of the ACPI
> possibilities and the syntax to use in the config files.
>
> Thank you.
>
> François Patte

Googling this phrase:
toshiba_acpi.o kernel boot

>From this:
http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~dgupta/articles/linux-dell-8600/acpi.html
I found this:
[quote]
There is a module called toshiba_acpi which obviously is meant for
Toshiba laptops. So everytime I booted into the new kernel, I would
get an error from insmod -- saying that init_module could not find any
such device. Of course it couldn't, coz I don't have one! Well the
solution is to either remove the toshiba_acpi.o file from the acpi
modules directly (look inside /lib/modules/[your kernel]/kernel/acpi
or somewhere like that) or to modify the rc.sysinit script to ignore
the toshiba_acpi module. I chose to remove it since it was a simpler
option.
[end quote]

Sounds reasonable to me.

hth,