Can't Install RH 9

From: Bob Simon (bobneworleans_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/25/04

Date: 25 Mar 2004 13:27:51 -0800

I recently loaded RH 7.3 on a machine because I had a copy of valhalla
on hand. Now I want to upgrade it to version 9. I download the 3 iso
images, verified the md5sum, and burned the discs which all pass the
new media check.

When I boot up the PC with shrike disc 1 in the CDROM drive and type
"linux text", it lists the typical startup messages, displays "running
sbin/loader" and then waits for a variable period from 3 to 7 minutes
before asking me to chose a language. It is not able to find the
RedHat Linux CD on any drives and it never asks if I want to test the
disc.

Is this enough info to suggest what the problem might be? If not,
please suggest a troubleshooting strategy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: License unfairness ? Rant...
    ... I came with XP Pro sans SP2 (OEM). ... When I've had to do a major OS repair or an upgrade of the ... I have to use the six month old OEM disc on that box and jump ... > personal user is being penalized. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: License unfairness ? Rant...
    ... > I put my original xp disc (bought within 2 days of the system realease ... I can't install the 'newer' version on the newer machine. ... When I've had to do a major OS repair or an upgrade of the ... >>have a five year old laptop which may be worth less ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: "Device not ready" (CDBurn)
    ... did you fit the upgrade yourself? ... The extra hard disc isn't necessary, though changing to the new disc ... format is a good idea eventually. ... Impression works fine with RISC OS 4. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • License unfairness ? Rant...
    ... I have to use the six month old OEM disc on that box and jump through all the hoops to make it current? ... I don't like the rationale for the strict confines that limit the use of the newer version of an OS for the personal user with a couple of machines and has multiple OS's. ... I have a five year old laptop which may be worth less in $'s than an OS upgrade. ...