newbie screwup

From: gneebore (nothere_at_privacy.comm)
Date: 03/30/04

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:25:40 GMT

Yeap I did it and now I have to figure what I did. Last week I downloaded
the new 2.6.3 kernel. I had thought that It hadn't been installed, but
somewhere along the way I was using kpackage and well there is a whole new
look and feel to my mephis installation before I was ready. It is
certainly faster. But for some reason all the fonts/app changed size and
actual fonts. Example the "File Edit" menu headers were courier, but had
become some sort of script. Then there is the soundcard, which is now
gone. It isn't even detected.

So here are the first of several repeat questions for those that have
heard them before.

1: How do I determine which kernel is actually running? I watched but
could not capture the boot screen and it say 2.4.22. But if I
accidentally complied 2.6.3 then several of the drivers will not
be running.

2: This is what lilo is currently configured as:

map=/boot/map
bitmap=/boot/mepis.bmp
bmp-colors=2,,,3,,
bmp-table=90p,160p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=400p,148p,3,2,
boot=/dev/hdc
backup=/dev/null
timeout=150
prompt
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22
  vga=791
  label=linux
  append="nomce hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi "
  root=/dev/hdc1

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22
  vga=791
  label=failsafe
  append="nomce "
  root=/dev/hdc1

image=/boot/memtest86.bin
  label=memtest
Somewhere i remember reading that Lilo will have to be edited after
compiling the new kernel, and before rebooting. I am sure I have already
done something wrong to gt this far. But at least it still works after a
fashion. Before going back in and editing lilo I believe it would be best
to ask the correct configuration.

Just in case any are wondering how I did this. I downloaded the new 2.6.3
kernel. I was using quick browser and wanted to move the file from one
directory to another. I clicked on it. Almost immediately Kpackage
started. And then tonight the new look and feel and speed.

So all the experienced linux users have a good chuckle, but send a bit of
help along my way please.