Re: startx is not found in /usr/X11R6/bin

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 05/11/04

Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 00:47:49 +0200

Larry I Smith <larryXiXsmith@verizon.net> wrote:
> P.T. Breuer wrote:
> > I don't understand you - what do you mean by "resolving"? He asks how to
> > install X. One installs it like everything else. Click on install.
> >
> > Are you or he confusing "install" and "configure"? Is that it?
> >
> I know I shouldn't ask, but if he doesn't have X,
> then he doesn't have a GUI - so what should he
> 'click' on?

AFAIR RH 6.x has a text mode installer, based on ncurses or something.
Or am I thinking of SuSE 6.x, and yast1?

Anyway, it's far too old by many years to have a working driver for a
recent graphics card.

> I'm not familiar with RH6; are there selections he
> can make during the (re)install (from CD) to ensure
> that X is installed?

Yes. He has access to the whole package selection thing.
But it's not a "reinstall" - it's just an "install more stuff".

Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: KB9554430
    ... "Larry" wrote in message ... rerun the install from Update? ... Now I am still unclear on what to rename. ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: KB9554430
    ... You MUST Clean Boot the system as whatever is holding msxml4.dll in use will not allow it to be replaced unless it's not running. ... There should be no other options presented and it *should* install. ... "Larry" wrote in message ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: KB9554430
    ... After the repair did not work, and I didn't hear back from you, I followed the rest of the article. ... But there was no place to just do a install outside of from the regular ms d/l pg. ... "Larry" wrote in message ... Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts. ...
  • Re: help and support
    ... Glad it helped, Larry. ... >Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI ... >>>but when i try to install it i get: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)