Re: Jumpstart with different version of Solaris and Hardware

From: Sarah Tanembaum (sarah.tanembaum_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/21/04

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:37:37 -0400

"Bruce D Porter" <bdp@ytc1.co.uk> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.05.21.18.27.22.37722@ytc1.co.uk...
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:36:23 -0400, Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

> > "Bruce D Porter" <bdp@ytc1.co.uk> wrote in message

> > with

> > error:

> > somewhere
> >>
> >> Looks like you have hit that small glitch... sparc cannot read x86 boot
> >> CDs.
> >>
> >> One solution is to use an already setup x86 machine to run the
> >> setup_install_server/add_install_server, then share the directory,mount
> >> it up on the sparc box and run the setup_install_server from there.
> >>
> >> JET can help and make JumpStarting much easier.
> >>
> >> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bruce
> >>
> >> "The internet is a huge and diverse community and not every one is
> >> friendly"
> >> http://www.ytc1.co.uk
> >>

> > Hi Bruce, I'm confuse.
> >
> > Here's my setup:
> >
> > I have 2 machines, one is x86 machines running Solaris 10 server, and
the
> > other is unconfigured SUN SPARCStation 5(I think its sun4m
architecture).
> > I don't have CD on the SPARC but I have one on the x86.
> >
> > Since SS5 can't run Solaris 10, so I have to install Solaris 9 for
SPARC.
> [...]
> partitions on that CD. This is needed because NFS sharing doesn't span
> filesystems automatically. "anon=0" causes reads by UID=0, which is
> normally mapped to user "nobody" by NFS for security reasons to remain
> mapped to UID=0. This isn't a security issue here because the CD is a
> Read-Only medium anyways.
>
> You will need to re-start vold. Runnning "/etc/init.d/volmgt stop" and
> "/etc/init.d/volmgt start" will do this.
>
> You'll likely need to start up the NFS server processes as well. You can
> either manually start them each time you boot your system or put the
> following into /etc/dfs/dfstab
>

> share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /cdrom
>
> If you don't have NFS already sharing out filesystems, you'll need to
> start it byt running "/etc/init.d/nfs.server start" as root.
>
> At this point, drop in your CD into the appropriate system. It should
> mount and share things automatically.
>
> # mount
> /cdrom/sol_9_x86/s2 on /vol/dev/dsk/c1t0d0/sol_9_x86/s2 read
> only/nosuid/maplcase/noglobal/rr/traildot/dev=1740003 on Tue Dec 3
> 15:09:39 2002
> /cdrom/sol_9_x86/s0 on /vol/dev/dsk/c1t0d0/sol_9_x86/s0 read
> only/nosuid/intr/largefiles/onerror=panic/dev=1740001 on Tue Dec 3
> 15:09:39 2002
>
> # share
> - /cdrom ro,anon=0 ""
> - /cdrom/sol_9_x86/s2 ro,anon=0 ""
> - /cdrom/sol_9_x86/s0 ro,anon=0 ""
>
> At this point you should be able to CD down
> to the appropriate location to run your setup_install_server.
>
> # pwd
> /
> # cd /cdrom/sol_9_x86/s2/Solaris_9/Tools
> # pwd
> /cdrom/sol_9_x86/s2/Solaris_9/Tools
> # ls
> Boot dial setup_install_server
> add_install_client rm_install_client
>
> Alternately, you can mount up the directories manually. For example:
>
> # mount -F nfs -o ro dhcp-ublm02-228-227:/cdrom /mnt
> # mount -F nfs -o ro dhcp-ublm02-228-227:/cdrom/sol_9_x86/s0
> /mnt/sol_9_x86/s0
> # mount -F nfs -o ro dhcp-ublm02-228-227:/cdrom/sol_9_x86/s2
> /mnt/sol_9_x86/s2
>
> All 3 mounts are needed as we have 3 separate filesystems and NFS
> doesn't span filesystems.
>
> Now run your "setup_install_server" script.
>
> # ./setup_install_server /export/install/sol_9_x86
> Verifying target directory...
> Calculating the required disk space for the Solaris_9 product
> Calculating space required for the installation boot image
> Copying the CD image to disk...
> Copying Install Boot Image hierarchy...
> Install Server setup complete
>
> You can either install the CDROM 2 of 2 through this method or drop it
> in locally as it is in the hsfs format.
>
> There are lots of ways that this can be done outside of this particular
> method. Your mileage may vary.
> --
> Bruce
>
> "The internet is a huge and diverse community and

Well, I do have 2 systems:
- One unconfigured SPARC box and
- One x86 box running Solaris 10

I can't figure out why this is such an ordeal for a UNIX OS that has been
around the longest as compare to the rest? Even Linux has the answer?

Does Sun does not really care about this issues? Is Solaris a dying breed
cause Linux will surpass its capabilities?

Please advise. Thanks